Cthulhu asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

My friend's hamster just gave birth out of nowhere?

She got in from the pet store a week or so ago. Should we contact the store and give the babies back? I myself may be taking one, but she's sort of annoyed about the others.

She got it*

I know, we aren't touching them or anything.

Favorite Answer

She should call the pet store where she bought the hamster and let them know the situation. The store should take the hamsters back. If not, she can call around to find a major pet store that takes in companion animals from people who cannot keep them, and then adopt the babies out when they are old enough.

By the way, it's a good idea not to touch the baby hamsters for a while. In some cases the mother hamster will eat the babies if she does not recognize the scent.

Source(s): I work at a major pet retailer.

the baby hamster need to stay with it mother for a couple of week. If you plan to touch the baby and got your human scent on it, the mother will eat it. Also the chance of the baby being remove from the mother is that it will not survive. Hamster doesn't require a lot of attention, space or money, why don't your friend keep two or three baby. And you can keep two. The rest you can give away to her relative or friend. If you give it back to the pet store, the baby will mostly be neglected or treat horrible.

• Sara(:

No wonder...if you get a hamster from a pet store they are most likely pregnant. You shouldn't give them back...and NEVER give an animal the a shelter. Maybe you guys can contact your friends and family and ask them if they would like one.

I hope I helped!

Most pet stores will take the babies if they had been the ones who sold the pregnant hamster.

wow that happens a lot you should call or go to the store and tell them what happend they have to take them back