Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

How hard is it to get into west point?

I'm in high school and I wanted to know how hard it is to get into west point military academy? Also, what are my chances of getting into the academy assuming that by the end of my high school career I have an average gpa of 4.0 (that includes AP classes and stuff, but a B here and there), president of a club, varsity athlete in two sports and letterwinner, CSF member, along with another club, and I get the Youth Community Service Award. Can I get in.

*****Also give me some suggestions that can added to the list of achievements because I'm only going to be a sophmore, so I still have a lot of room for improvement.

Favorite Answer

To qualify academically at West Point you should have an above average high school or college academic record. A complete transcript of your academic achievement will be evaluated to determine your qualification. You should perform well on the ACT, Inc. Assessment Program Test (ACT) or the College Board Admission Testing Program Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT).

You apply to West Point by requesting and completing a PreCandidate Questionnaire, and by obtaining a nomination, normally from a United States Congressman or a Senator. (NOTE: Current enlisted members do not need a congressional or senatorial nomination). A candidate file will be started after you return the PreCandidate Questionnaire, preferable in the spring of your junior year of high school. Your Candidate Questionnaire will be evaluated by the Admissions Office to determine whether or not you will be competitive for admission. If you are a competitive candidate, you will receive additional forms to complete. Fill out those forms as quickly as possible because West Point has a rolling admissions program. The Admissions Committee will only evaluate your application file when every requirement has been completed. The majority of the Members of Congress use a competitive nomination process, whereby 10 candidates are named to compete for a single vacancy. A minority of the members of Congress names a single candidate as their primary nomination, and some choose to number, or rank order the alternates. If you have an excellent academic and extracurricular activity record, however, you have a good chance of gaining admission with an alternate nomination. Each year several hundred of the best qualified alternate Congressional and military service nominees are offered admission from the West Point waiting list.

Very. you will need letters of recommendation from a state senator, a GPA of atleast 3.85, SAT scores of atleast 1900, be in great physical fitness, be "of good moral character (ie, involved in community service) westpoint is the toughest of the academies. You should also apply for Anapolis and Colorado Springs (Navy and Air Force) should those fall through, most large colleges have ROTC, which will provide you with the same practical training, and you will become a 2nd LT after college, in the exact same time

College education.

nice resume', all you need now is a letter of recommendation from a state senator and you should be fine

letters of rec... thats all really