Does anybody else really dislike anime?

Now, before you bash me and call me an unsophisticated idiot who simply cannot comprehend something of such magnitude, let me give you my honest opinion. Then you can make your unfair assumptions about me. Also, there's something I wanna ask: Besides anime, WHAT exactly do you anime fans consider... show more Now, before you bash me and call me an unsophisticated idiot who simply cannot comprehend something of such magnitude, let me give you my honest opinion. Then you can make your unfair assumptions about me.

Also, there's something I wanna ask: Besides anime, WHAT exactly do you anime fans consider entertainment? When it comes to television, I like All in the Family, The Golden Girls, I Love Lucy, and the Honeymooners. When it comes to film, I like Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and La Dolce Vita. (Maybe I'm just on the bandwagon, but whatever. Give me examples of your favorites.)

Also, those choices CANNOT be anime.

Now, may I first say that I love Hayao Miyazaki. He's the Japanese Walt Disney, in my opinion. It's just...maybe I haven't delved deep enough, but I haven't found any other anime things that are genuinely entertaining like that.

Anyway, the animation really bugs me. KEY FRAMES. They drive me insane! The animators draw (and I use that term loosely) ONE frame, and then the camera pans around it while they give boring lectures on 'how powerful' or 'intelligent' they are. That's filler! This supports the story, of course, but, in the words of the immortal Charlie Chaplin, dialogue just makes it easier to explain a plot. Actions are much more important. Let's not forget how the characters' mouths just flap and flap and flap and flap...(looks like I got caught up with a little filler myself, but I digress). It's not difficult to animate the characters' lip movements! I understand that the Japanese language relies mainly on vowels (or so I've heard), but that's not an excuse for the characters looking like they're saying 'mah' over and over again. But I suppose animation shouldn't be the basis for my argument. Let's move on.

The characters themselves ALWAYS seem to be the same person. The lead's usually a scrawny, pretty-faced boy with spiky hair and a jerky attitude, who just happens to be incredibly confident and powerful. Well, generally. There are also those perverted ones where high school is ALWAYS an important part of the story.

But neither of those things are the biggest segments of my argument. THE FANS are what bother me the most. The following that anime has is...it's just UNBEARABLY big. And let's not forget that a large population of these fans would bash anyone who doesn't happen to agree with them (which may seem to be what I'm doing now, but I'm not trying to insult anyone). Let me put this out there...my favorite cartoons are the Simpsons, the Flintstones, and SpongeBob SquarePants. Most 'sophisticated' anime fans would scoff at the very sound of those franchises, but have you ever actually sat down and watched them? They're all REALLY funny. Yes, even SpongeBob SquarePants. The Simpsons is a smart, semi-political that appeals to just about everyone (besides some stuffy conservatives, but, again, I digress), The Flintstones was a high brow, adult-geared parody of the Honeymooners, and SpongeBob SquarePants is a surreal yet hilarious parody of...everything. But not necessarily pop culture-related things. Now, from my experience, most anime humor is low-brow, blue collar sex stuff, which almost reminds me of a half-witted Woody Allen flick (I love Woody Allen, for your information). Several anime-freaks (which isn't an insult) cover their ears and won't listen to my argument, trying to convince me that I'm wrong. It's called an OPINION people...well, I better wrap this up before it gets too huge.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, just sharing my opinion to see if I can find someone who agrees with me.

Well, have a nice day, everybody.
Update: But, Vergil, wouldn't you agree that anime's following is much bigger nowadays than that of Star Wars or even Star Trek? I mean, it's become enormous. I would even go so far to say that it's become bigger than any other form of animation.
Update 2: Well, thank you for that thorough argument Sasha.
Update 3: Neko, I never said anything about the translation, or whatever....

And I'm DEFINITELY not into that perverted stuff. I think that's another big problem with anime. Too much pornographic stuff....
Update 4: AGAIN, I don't watch anime!

I'm not covering my ears, I'm listening to your argument, and you can have it! I couldn't care less, I'm just sharing mine.

And I don't like Twilight, either, heheh.
Update 5: Well, I don't watch it. I haven't since I was 12.
Update 6: Excellent argument, nanoinfinity. I suppose I was creating a generalization. But, in my opinion, CARTOONS, which I believe animes are, should be made for humor, and the ones which are...are usually very 'random', stuff which usually doesn't make me laugh. And, of course, everything big is bound to have... show more Excellent argument, nanoinfinity. I suppose I was creating a generalization. But, in my opinion, CARTOONS, which I believe animes are, should be made for humor, and the ones which are...are usually very 'random', stuff which usually doesn't make me laugh. And, of course, everything big is bound to have a huge following. I dislike a lot of followings. I dislike nearly ALL followings.

Also, movies are much different than cartoons, generally. If I watch a movie, it's usually something artistic and thought provoking.

Now I'm acting paradoxical, I guess. Maybe I don't have a good argument. I just don't like anime.
Update 7: Well, JapaneseLotus, I wasn't saying why you shouldn't like it, I'm just sharing what I don't like about it.
Update 8: Heh, Juliu$, you're funny.

Maybe I'm just trying to be controversial.