7 1/2 month old rubbing ear...infection or teeth?

I have noticed that for the last 2-3 weeks my son has been rubbing his left ear alot...

only while he's nursing though, and only the left ear...he uses his fist to dig/rub at it...

he just got his first tooth, but it's barely poking through....

i figured it was just due to his teething, but since i noticed it's only the left ear i was thinking he might have an infection?

i have been giving him tylenol or ibuprofen at least twice per day for at least 2 weeks bc of the teething, and he doesn't seem cranky really either....

also a friend recently told me (our kids have the same dr) that our dr doesnt recommend meds for an ear infection unless it's reallllly bad...do your drs give meds for ear infections?

thanks for the washcloth idea...were already doing that, but i roll it and soak it in diluted juice!

Favorite Answer

I've read a few studies that show that antibiotics for ear infections are uneccesary unless severe. The study had 2 sets of children with ear infections, one set was treated with antibiotics and the others weren't. The children with the treatment got over the ear infections in 4 days. The kids without treatment got over them in 4-5 days. All antibiotics do (when we really don't need them) is build up an immunity in our bodies which makes them useless when we do need them. He's probably teething and i would continue the Tylenol only when he seems uncomfortable. Also, a wet washcloth put in the freezer for him to chew on is a great drug free remedy.

If he's not running fever it could be fluid in his ear, sometimes if the fluid stays for too long it will turn into an infection. I just brought my 5year old to the doctor yesterday because she was complaining of a ear ache and he prescribed ear drops twice a day for a week. My 1 year old just had tubes put in because antibiotics wouldn't get rid of his infections. I would bring him in just to be sure, its nothing to serious.