Rental question-Landlord did not inform us about construction before moving?

We moved in July, and while looking at the place, landlord did not mention anything about construction taking place. We even asked how the traffic was on road behind house, and he said there wasn't much traffic at all. We just found out ourselves that tomorrow the city is putting up power poles in our backyard and they are planning on widening the road behind our house to 4 lanes. Shouldn't the landlord have mentioned this?? I am so angry right now, I feel like I am having a nightmare! What do you suggest we do, if we can do anything. I feel like we are going to be paying too much for rent for having a smaller backyard with heavy traffic. I am so disappointed, I have a 1 year old and I feel like this will jeopardize his safety.

• LILL
    Favorite Answer

What makes you think that the landlord was even aware of the construction plans?

Even if he/she did know about this, they have no legal obligation to inform you of such.

Contact a lawyer, you can usually get a free consultation. The landlord had an obligation to disclose that information when you asked, and in failing to do so violated your rights.

The specifics vary from state to state, but information like that HAS to be disclosed to future renters, ESPECIALLY when they ask about it specifically.

A decent lawyer should be able to help you win moving expenses to find a new place as well as some amount of compensation for the hassle. Good luck.

You can move out and take the landlord to court for misrepresentation of the rental property that you live in and have him to pay you back your deposit. I seriously would recommend you to seek an attorney in this matter for quicker resaults.