Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Why is suicide considered cowardly/selfish? why not legalize assisted suicide for people with a waiting period?

Normally when legalizing assisted suicide is discussed, it only applies to terminally ill and those with medical conditions. Why not legalize assisted suicide for all adults, after a reasonable waiting period? Without an easy certain suicide route open, many suicidal people take even more irrational actions which harm their own lives and those of innocent people. Who would disagree that a single innocent life taken against their will is worth 1000 lives taken willingly by self-choice?

Why is suicide considered cowardly, why does one have a duty/obligation to live life instead of calculating net pain to net pleasure

Suicide is called selfish, mainly to family. But isn't the parent equally selfish for bringing a child into a word of suffering without the child's consent to satisfy the parent's sick perverted desire for the pleasure of being a parent. And isn't it sadistic to take pleasure in someone living in pain for your own pleasure? So isn't it more selfish to put social pressure on someone who does not desire to live, to live for your own whims.

Yes suicide is taking the easy way out. Since when does "easy" mean morally wrong? It is also easy to not climb Mt Everest. Everyone who does not climb Mt.Everest and chooses to do something else is making the easy choice. For shame!

To say that it is wrong to take the easy way out of life is to assume one has a duty to the chemical process called life.

If someone is unsatisfied with the current society or state of the world, there is no escape in life, and one lone individual can not change social conditions. Thus suicide is the only way to "vote" with your feet.

Life is just a biological chemical process, no different from rusting or spoiling fruit. There is nothing magical about it.

Why do people get so pissed off at suicides? Calling them obscene names and cowards. Is it because misery loves company and you are a prisoner angry that a fellow convict has escaped so easily. Is it because suicide is a judgment on your life? Is it not just bitter resentment?

To call an act cowardly, begs the question and assumes the argument's conclusion. To say an act is cowardly implies that one has a duty to not commit the act. That is to say one has a duty to live. Now what logical argument can there be to say that one has a moral imperative to convert oxygen in C02? It is your duty to keep your heart pumping?

To those who complain about life, the cold answer is thats the rules of the "real world". And as an individual one can't challenge those rules in life. In the real world, they will tell you suffering is a natural part of existence. Let us concede that. Then there is one way to escape the cruelty of the real world and that is suicide. If one is really that upset with the state of existence, than an escape route should be kept open.

It is a crime that the oppressive state and society makes access to suicide so difficult, and thus cause 80% of suicides to fail often with grave physical damage. That is a prison! If the rate of suicide increases, society can chose to either change itself or tolerate it, not make life a prison! Perhaps the weapons of suicide could also be used in murder? Then special institutions of assisted suicide should be set up, perhaps with a one year waiting period. If in one year one still wants to commit suicide, it is clearly not impulsive, and there is not conscionable reason for the state to intervene.

Favorite Answer

-- "Why is suicide considered cowardly/selfish? why not legalize assisted suicide for people with a waiting period?"

There is nothing cowardly about assisted suicide for the elderly and the terminally ill. Those people have decided that they are satisfied with the life that they have lived, and are ready to end it on their own terms, because they realize that they have lived all that they are going to live, and their time remaining is inconsequentially small. In purely legal terms, I think it should be perfectly legal for anyone who wants to die to allow themselves the privilege. Granted in most cases it is more of a person crying out than their actually intending to commit suicide, but hey, we live in a free society; that means that people have the freedom to be stupid.

-- "But isn't the parent equally selfish for bringing a child into a word of suffering without the child's consent to satisfy the parent's sick perverted desire for the pleasure of being a parent. "

This is a sick, twisted way to look at the word. I am eternally grateful that my parents have blessed me with existence. I live for the happy times, and let the sad times teach me the wisdom to not repeat them again.

-- "Yes suicide is taking the easy way out. Since when does "easy" mean morally wrong? It is also easy to not climb Mt Everest. Everyone who does not climb Mt.Everest and chooses to do something else is making the easy choice. For shame!"

Suicide is cowardly when it is used as an escape for one's problems when less dramatic measures can be taken. Climbing Mount Everest is a feat, and it doesn't deprive me of happiness to decide not to accomplish it. Living is a gift. Life is so precious and short; a measly 70 years or so out of the trillions that our universe will live, and those are 70 years in the most prosperous, happy, peaceful times in the history of human civilization. I've heard of young African women getting gang-raped by guerillas, carrying their baby to term, and caring for it with all the love and respect that it deserves, enduring simply for the sake of the love of life. What then is there to say about some teenager in middle class America who kills himself because his girlfriend cheated on them? Or some middle-aged adult who never bothered to apply themselves in life and now are miserable (I've heard of people in their 60s abandoning their lives and starting anew and spending the rest of their lives happier than ever. I've heard of a 90 year old woman getting her college degree. It is never too late to start anew)

"To say that it is wrong to take the easy way out of life is to assume one has a duty to the chemical process called life."

No one says that it is a legal or biological duty. It is a moral duty. You have a moral duty to yourself to be happy.

-- "If someone is unsatisfied with the current society or state of the world, there is no escape in life, and one lone individual can not change social conditions. Thus suicide is the only way to "vote" with your feet."

Then they aren't looking hard enough. I have a very dear friend who is black, grew up in miserably impoverished conditions, and was the frequent target of racial discrimination in the racist sections of the south. Another life for crime, you say? No way to change his place in society, you say? He worked hard, put himself through college, and is now a highly successful and wealthy surgeon. And someone like him, who actually had a legitimately hard life, would never even entertain the notion of suicide. In his words: "Life don't get that bad" If he can make it, then so can anyone. No excuses. At one point in time, I too was suicidal, until he and I were talking about the suicide of one of our friends, and he said those words. I found solace in that strength, discovering that maybe my desire to end it all actually came from my inability to accept pain due to my relatively painless life. By teaching myself to accept pain as a part of life, It made me realize how precious it is to be alive. Then I quit my day job and became an artist, and am now happier than ever.

-- "It is a crime that the oppressive state and society makes access to suicide so difficult, and thus cause 80% of suicides to fail often with grave physical damage. That is a prison! If the rate of suicide increases, society can chose to either change itself or tolerate it, not make life a prison! Perhaps the weapons of suicide could also be used in murder? Then special institutions of assisted suicide should be set up, perhaps with a one year waiting period. If in one year one still wants to commit suicide, it is clearly not impulsive, and there is not conscionable reason for the state to intervene."

It sounds like this issue is more personal to you than you are letting on. Well no matter how hard you'll try to rationalize it, it is still taking the gift of existence and spitting in the face of it. I'm still going to call people a coward and a cheapskate if they end it for trivial nonsense, and if you decide that suicide is the way out; then that is how you will be remembered. Life don't get that bad.

• Vanity

They are not just complaining about life, but how they are or were treated during life. Even medical care is questionable. You can become highly stressed and agitated with pain, which leads to a deep depression after a long period of time. Anyone contemplating taking their own life does so to escape the agony of living. What happened to fixing it before it gets to that point.

To answer your first question in regards to why people think suicide is selfish or cowardly, is a matter of the individual and what that person can endure in one lifetime. This outlook came from religion as well, because it states that you should not take your own life in verse. Anyone considering doing so is taking the easy way out, or acting in a cowardly manner, or so it is interpreted to mean. I am not saying that this is how I view this at a whole. I think sometimes it is selfish of loved ones to hold onto someone who has decided to give up, only I don't believe in giving up and I don't believe that others should give up on you, and that includes professionals whose first objective is to save lives.....Now, it's move aside and give the paying customer a seat. God help us.

I can't answer every issue you have mentioned as I'm kind of slow at the key board and would be here for hours.

But I would say this to you, if suicide was considered to be a good way to avoid suffering and pain then a lot of us would not be here today. By this I mean that if you look at the history of mankind suffering, war, disease, poverty,slavery are the negatives I can name off

of the top of my head, then you would think that most of our ancestors

would have cashed in their chips and given up not even thinking of reproducing and adding more to the misery of the life they were experiencing.

However their is something in the nature or spirit of people that cause

them to push on and hope for a better future, to adapt, innovate and overcome.

I don't think suicide is cowardly or selfish, I believe people who feel they have no hope, no way of improving their lives and see no better

things on the horizon begin to entertain these thoughts. Who hasn't said to themselves at one time or another "this is it" life sucks, I hate the way things are, I give up! and then one day things turn around, maybe after a good nights sleep and they are once again glad to see the sun rise?

I don't think people who kill themselves are selfish. I've had two suicides in my family. The reason I won't support aided suicide is because of possible repercussions. It should be a personal decision made by one person. You are forgetting that the person helping may have a problem ending someones life. On top of that, how many people who attempt suicide realize at the last minute they DON'T want to die? There was a rock star (can't remember his name) who killed himself in his bathroom using a grill. He managed to get out of the bathroom and dial 911, but he died before paramedics could get there. So what happens if the person dies and the family turns around and sues the other person for the death of their family member? It's not sadistic to bring a child into this world. Most people do it for love. Suicide is not a societies burden.

Suicide is a crime for a reason. The rich, power elite of the world need workers. If, every time the living got hard or near impossible, thousands would simply commit suicide rather than work themselves to death. The power elite would rather see a person suffer and waste away than permit suicide. Who knows, they still might get some work out of them, but one thing is for sure, they'll take all the money the person has got just to keep them alive. Gotta make a profit on all aspects of life. Living or dieing. The longer they drag it out, the more people have to do and the more money the elite make. Nothing like being useful ALL your life.

Most suicides I am familiar with are not noble acts, but sad attempts to escape the emotional pain of living. I think every person considers ending their own life at some time because of just such slings and arrows. It is however in our nature, for obvious reasons, to fight to stay alive. You raise an interesting and challenging point. Certainly personal freedom is important, the superlative right, from my point of view. I think it is the constant point of frictions, that between Freedom and Necessity. I can see that suicide should not be encouraged or made easy. It is a reasonable taboo, a healthy one for any culture to have. Likewise, I can see that we should not make a cage of life, that we should not force another to live against their will. Truthfully, I am conflicted.

• ?

The idea that suicide is wrong comes from the need of Aristocrats and Priests for large numbers of suffering workers to support their lavish lifestyles, it takes a lot of starving peasants to keep one King happy. If a life of misery followed by death is all there is to hope for many people likely will opt to end it and that can seriously weaken the workforce. By threatening people with eternal punishment and social disgrace the landowners can make death seem worse than life and keep their peasants in the fields.

Don't forget that in most non-Abrahamic cultures, like Japan, Rome, or many Native American cultures suicide was a perfectly acceptable option, in many cases it was considered the only honorable one. I would also point out that if someone really wants to end their life they can usually find a way, punishing their relatives is just one more way of trying to force them to prolong their suffering by making death the worse alternative, in the case it would the medical community who are making money by keeping them alive even against their own wishes and that of their families.

Suicide hurts the people around you, so it is selfish. Most bad situations can be made better and suicide is the easy way out, so it is cowardly. But is it really so bad that it's cowardly? I agree with you there, that just because something's easy doesn't make it wrong. Nonetheless, suicide is still selfish.

As well as hurting family and friends, anyone who hears about a suicide is saddened by it, hopefully anyways.

• B0B

It is cowardly if you need help to commit suicide.

But, if it becomes a reality, I think the person applying for it should be questioned whether pay back is complete. Among other things, depleting potable water and food has been consumed, which could have gone to a deserving person willing to contribute in return.

suicide is not always selfish,,,cause sometimes a person have sons , daughters ,any who need him , then he kill himself ,,this is selfish ,he can try and live for them , then he will be better then others who don't , cause he is living not for himself but to help others , what a kindness , i wish to be like this , so the god would like me , and he will give me the never after happiness ,,,

the suicide would be cowardly cause its like giving up ,killing in logical thinking is not a resolve for any problem in life ,, running from a problem is not solving,,,,and there are no problem without its solve ,,,no disease without its treatment^^ and HaRDLUCK