Eric asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

I just got my braces off!! So how long will I have to wear the Retainer?

I just got my braces off! Yes! Finally! But i have to wear a retainer. She said i have to wear them forever, but not as often, like maybe once a week or something. But i need more info, if i do end up wearing them forever, how often do i have to wear them?

Favorite Answer

Why didn't you ask her until you were sure of what to do. Questions are never stupid...not asking them is.

Plan to wear your retainer full time for 6 months if you want very perfect teeth. If you need to take the retainer out if you are giving a presentation or talking a lot, that is fine, but you should ALWAYS wear it at night, especially for the first 6 months. After that, you should still wear it at night for many years. My sister has had her braces off for 4 years and her teeth still shift when she doesn't wear her retainer at night for a couple of days. The orthodontist will tell you to wear it full time for 6 months, except when you eat. Then after that they will check your progress and give you further direction; usually only to wear it at night. Good luck and don't get discouraged if you have trouble talking! If you stick with it for the first 2 weeks, you'll be talking perfectly before you know it.

It depends on how much your teeth move. I wear my bottom ones about ever other day. I wear my top ones about once a week. Wear them as much as you can. I have known people who have had braces and years later stopped wearing their retainers. They now need braces again.

wear it all day and night for the first few weeks. then start just wearing it at night. some people's teeth move more than others. so just because one persons didn't move doesn't mean yours won't.

after a while you can wear it just a couple nights a week. eventually i'm sure you'll stop wearing it at all like i did.

my teeth shifted some, my original retainer doesn't fit anymore. but they're still straight and all.

well for 1 year you should wear them 24/7. then for the next 3 years, at night only. then for the next 5 years, wear them 1 or 2 nights a week. after that, wear it for a couple of hours whenever you feel like it!

It varies from person to person - you have to discuss it in more depth with your orthodontist. It's pretty typical, though, to wear them for a year full time (i.e. only taking them off to eat), then to wear them at night - every night - indefinitely. I've heard that after a certain number of years some orthodontists might recommend wearing them every other night rather than every night.

• Roxie

My brother has to wear hid forever at night. He stopped wearing if for a few months and his teeth started getting crooked again.

I was told to wear it all day except when eating for 6 months, then just while I'm sleeping the rest of my life.

I wore it for about a week, then stopped entirely. My teeth haven't moved at all.

Depends on how old you are. My Dentist said he had to wear his for 20 years, and they were permanent retainers.

I have to wear mine every other day for the rest of my life, but only when I sleep. Do whatever your orthodontist says to do and you'll be fine. If he/she wasn't specific enough, go back and ask.

i don't wear mine but my teeth moved a little haha