MMW
MMW asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Who Beat De La Hoya More Convincingly?

In these DECISIONS, who beat De La Hoya more convincingly?

Shane Mosley

Floyd Mayweather jr.

Pernell Whitaker

Felix Sturm

Ike Quartey

Best Answer

Quartey didn't beat Oscar, I was there, and gave Oscar 7 of the 12. It was a great fight, and an honest decision.

Sturm got robbed, I gave Felix 8 maybe 9 rounds out of the 12, that one was a horrible call by the scorekeepers.

Pernell Whitaker actually did even better against Oscar than Sturm did, I gave Pernell 8 of 12 plus Pernell knocked Oscar down, and still got robbed. Oscar clearly lost that one too.

Floyd beat Oscar because Oscar stopped jabbing. Mid way through the fight I had Oscar winning, then he just quit jabbing and allowed Floyd to pot shot his way back into it. It was clearly Floyd's fight at the end of it, I had it 7-5 for Mayweather.

The first Mosley fight went to Shane by a small margine, I had that one scored in Shane's favor by a couple points. The second fight was very questionable, I thought Oscar did enough to take it, and Shane got a lucky call by the judges.

The only two who convincingly beat Oscar in his career were BHop and Manny, the others were close, hard fought affairs that really could have gone either way.

Of the five you listed, Pernell Whitaker clearly beat Oscar in the most convincing fashion, but history tends to blur with time. Since I was ringside for that fight, it will never blur for me, Pernell clearly beat DeLa Hoya and the decision was simply incorrect.

First of all I have never seen De La Hoya rocked multiple times in several rounds ever in a fight. Felix Sturm just did that! Strum controlled his jabs and landed a couple of clean shots. I saw Sturm winning at least 7-8 Rounds and De La Hoya 4-5. Strum connected not just hus jabs but also the power punches in a good percentage. Sturm landed 234 out of 541 thrown, which is about 41% connection, while Oscar landed only 188 out of 792, which is only 24%. I would imagine that Oscar could win despite landing less shots if they were power shots, but it was actually Sturm who landed more power shots. Harold Lederman had the score 115-113 for Sturm. Until today it was one of the biggest robberies Ive seen, because the decision wasnt even close to call it a toss up, it was clear Sturm won!

Sturm was definitely, out of all selections that beat De La Hoya convincingly.

It's impossible for De La Hoya to beat mayweather now. A second fight would've turned me away from the sport. Mayweather is good enough to beat De La Hoya now (in his prime it's a whole different story). One Judge went for De La Hoya but must have been high or something. The winner of Cotto and Margarito is the real next contender which will be Cotto without a doubt.

I am a De La Hoya fan, but Felix Sturm got robbed!

Oscar may not have gotten the decisions versus Mosley, but I saw him losing one and winning one (both by 1 round differential).

In the Mayweather fight, I believe that Oscar did the necessary to win the fight. It was a fight that lacked action. Both fighters didn't do much in this fight, but it was Oscar who was pressing the fight every single round.

Whitaker fans may disagree, but I don't see any debate over the decision that was given to Oscar.

The fight versus Quartey was an excellent fight... very competitive and close to the very end. De La Hoya had a huge 12th round that earned him the decision.

Felix Sturm took it to Oscar and beat him clearly. Even though Oscar was looking more like Butterbean... that is no excuse for him. It was his own fault that he didn't train well for Sturm. He underestimated Sturm and Sturm took advantage. Unfortunately, he didn't get the decision that he earned.

Bernard and Pacquiao beat him more convincingly but if I have to pick between your list, I'd say Shane Mosely

• Woody

I would say Shane Mosley. I thought he won both matches.

Amongst those who lost the decision, I think Sturm was more convincing, but the judges thought differently.

Bernard Hopkins is the only one and pacquiao.

The others are in gray areas.

3 of those guys didn't even win the decision and the other 2 are very questionable, so i'll go with an outsider Trinidad simply because Oscar gave up in the fight and did not deserve to win.

• Sean G

Since you did not say Bernard Hopkins, I will have to say Mosley who did it twice.

shane mosley