Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Whats more important, health insurance companies making obscene profits by letting people die or saving lives?

Update:

MikeGolf, did you ACTUALLY believe that I couldn't find OBSCENE helath insurance company profits ?! :

HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY PROFITS IN 2007:

UnitedHealth Group - $ 4.654 BILLION. UnitedHealth Group owns Oxford, PacifiCare, IBA, AmeriChoice, Evercare, Ovations, MAMSI and Ingenix, a healthcare data company

WellPoint - $ 3.345 BILLION. Wellpoint owns BLUES across the US, including Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin, Empire HealthChoice Assurance, Healthy Alliance, and many others

Aetna Inc. - $ 1.831 BILLION

CIGNA Corp - $ 1.115 BILLION

Humana Inc. - $ 834 million

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS18...

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The CEO of Blue Cross receives a salary over TWO MILLION dollars a year.

Yes, many people have died because insurance companies would not pay for expensive procedures. That's an absolute, provable fact. Anyone who reads the newspaper knows that. And so far there's nothing that can be done about it.

For instance, 17 year old Nataline Sarkisyan of LA died because Cigna would not pay for a liver transplant which was available to her.

• 1 decade ago

For conservatives business can do no wrong!

Even companies that FAIL are better than a government that survives.

U.S. companies that crashed and burned:

Chrysler Corp in 2009

Lehman Brothers in 2009

Merrill Lynch in 2009

General Motors in 2009

Washington Mutual Bank in 2008 (Total assets: $307 billion)

Circuit City in 2009

Delta Airlines Inc. in 2005

WorldCom Inc. in 2002

Global Crossing Ltd. in 2002

K-mart in 2002

Pacific Gas & Electric Co in 2001

Enron in 2001

Montgomery Ward in 2001

American Motors in 1987

Actually, maybe it's BECAUSE the government survived against the southern rebellion that southern conservatives HATE "the government" so much!

• Matt W
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you don't understand the mathematics behind the insurance industry don't blame them for your ignorance. Insurance companies that do not have profits commensurate with the risk taken (and health care expenditures are a HUGE risk) go broke.

Insurance companies do not decide on what health care procedures/treatments should be pursued by the patient and their health care providers, they only decide on what claims are to be paid according to the contract between the patient and the insurer. This is yet again another attempt by those who do not understand the financial and mathematical realities of running a business to destroy that which has been built in order to avoid their own or their supporters responsibilities.

Should there be health insurance reform? Sure. Are there companies that abuse their position? Absolutely. Do insurance companies kill people? NO

I do not work for an insurer, I work for health care providers and often am in an adversarial position with respect to the insurers but I must understand the reality of the situation. You seem to be missing that part of the equation. Spend some time learning about insurance and how health care is provided before you ask these types of questions. This is simply an emotional outburst which misrepresents the situation entirely.

• shuey
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it incredibly is area of the showmanship. The issues stated at those marketing campaign speeches he supplies is meant to place a distinctive theory interior the folk's head. Like he stated the Louisiana purchase and Nebraska deal have been off final week, yet now they are ok this week. properly everyone listening to that final week might think of they weren't bribing everyone and perhaps no longer right here it replaced into lower back on. puzzling. it incredibly is in basic terms a psychological pastime they play. all and sundry of this speeches constantly has the comparable format. you have something it incredibly is important, recommend and undesirable, then you definitely've the "tale" after which the marvelous answer, i.e. Obamacare or Pelosicare or wellbeing care reform or despite you prefer to call it. SOS. you have area a, b and c. The lead in, tale and kill. i ask your self whether the companies are struggling with approximately what they want finished. thinking the living house and Senate individuals would be having a checklist breaking $5 billion donated to them this 3 hundred and sixty 5 days, they rather plenty ought to do what the lobbyists tell them to do. choose they might take a seat and paintings it out piece via piece,yet that is way too plenty paintings, working lower back and forth to the lobbyists. in spite of the shown fact that it incredibly is exciting to make certain how they have laid it out for him and could be much extra exciting to pass lower back look at each and each speech to then make certain what the great image replaced into. each and each vast element, like the "salary" on that one, then the "tale", then the various "closes". LIke products of a puzzle all of them connect. What you need to discover obscene is that for over 40 years they been taking the money and not finished plenty. Have a reliable one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

To quote Rep. David Crockett "Mr. Speaker--I have as much respect for the memory of the deceased, and as much sympathy for the sufferings of the living, if suffering there be, as any man in this House, but we must not permit our respect for the dead or our sympathy for a part of the living to lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. I will not go into an argument to prove that Congress has not the power to appropriate this money as an act of charity. Every member upon this floor knows it. We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar of the public money. " My, how far our once great nation has fallen!

• Pfo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

How about this: let health insurance companies make profits and save lives. That's what I want. This doesn't have to be an either / or condition, we can and should do both. Auto insurance companies make profits, and they provide good service; why can't health care be the same?

• r & r
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Have you ever heard of the term "loaded question"?

Also, if health care companies don't make money, they cannot stay in business, thus not provide any health care at all.

• 1 decade ago

If you believe that capitalism is the best system for achieving the needs of all people you would see it as a false choice, which is how I see it.

I believe more lives have been saved through capitalism than by any draconian centralized government-run program.

Providing a financial incentive for other people to help other people has always worked more effectively than the desire to aggregate power into the hands of power-hungry politicians.

• 1 decade ago

Notice how you cannot name a health insurance company that is making an 'obscene profit?'

Maybe you should try less kool aid and Read The Bill.

• 1 decade ago

Liberty is more important.

I have the right to be free, including the freedom to buy insurance or no,t and the freedom to choose from whom I buy. You and the government do not have the authority to tell me otherwise.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.