Should a student be allowed to submit an art project that consists of a nude portrait of a classmate?

If a female student poses nude for her friend, and he or she creates an accurate, identifiable sketch of her for a drawing assignment, should the student be able to submit the art in class? Should it be displayed with the other drawings?

Oh, yes, I forgot to add it is high school.

Favorite Answer

If its a highschool then I suggest covering the painting the students who then feel comfortable viewing it can lift up the cover. Therefore, the painting is still on display, but only the students who feel comfortable looking at the painting can look at it.

If this is a college, I would say no worries and display it.

• ?

No it shouldn't be displayed as classwork. School work assignments always come down to what the instructor wants not what the student wants. I doubt your part of a nude figure painting class on the high school level possibility of some figure drawing but no way is it a figure painting class. I realize you probably did a very good piece of art work but if it's not what the instructor asked you for in the assignment it means you didn't follow instructions and that gets you a failing grade.

Sorry I can't agree with you on this but students need to provide instructors with what they want if they expect to pass with a good grade, afterall that's why you're in school it's not to just show what you can do now but to learn so you can get even better than you are now.

If you have the models permission,

age isnt an issue (child pornography etc..)

and its tasteful, not vulgar hustler type poses

then yes you should be able to submit and display it

I'm both for it and against it because first off, it's just art. But then there would be people who would say stuff to them like "Show us the real thing now!" and "Can I draw you with me?", etc.

Yes it should be, it's not like it's anything we've not seen before. If the model has no problems with it then it's fine.

• scott

Maybe if they are both juniors or seniors. It just depends on how seriously they are taking it. Though they could always use pasties and a bikini bottom as well.

in high school it is not allowed no matter what, no buts about it, in college they take it easier because they actually have classes where they paint nude models.

if it's high school no college yes

Yes if she consents to it than yes,I wanna see it