does canada have a militry?

my boyfriend thinks that canada has no militry

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, Canada does have a military. It's currently called the Canadian Armed Forces, it consists of land, sea and air forces.

Canada first formed a national militia to defend itself from the United States during the American Revolution. This militia fought the United States with the British Army during the War of 1812. Canadians and their allies of the Mohawk nation defeated the American Army at the Battle of Montreal and forced the withdrawal of the American Army from British North America (which would become the Dominion of Canada). They also carried out a successful raid with the support of British Marines on Washington DC, which saw the destruction of the original White House.

During World War One, the Canadian Expeditionary Force (later the Canada Corps) won many major battles in France: the Second Battle of Ypres (the first time a colonial army forced a European power to retreat on foreign soil), the Battle of the Somme (earning a reputation as shock troops), Vimy Ridge (and held it until the end of the War, the Germans never tried to take the ridge back), The Second Battle of Passchendaele which decided the Third Battle of Ypres and conducted the One Hundred Day Offensive which broke the Hindenburg Line and advanced to Mons. Canada also entered the war in 1914, three years before the United States.

In the Second World War, Canada fought the Battle of the Atlantic, defending the supply routes from North America to Europe; at the end of the war Canada had the third largest allied navy and nearly 1.1 million men in service (out of a population of 11 million). Canadian soldiers fought so well, that they were assigned their own beach during the Invasion on D-Day, Juno Beach. On D-Day, Canadians achieved all their objectives despite a heavy German defense on schedule (the only allied force to do so), penetrating further into France than any other allied force . Canada liberated Holland fighting through the flooded coutryside, To this day, the Dutch send thousands of tulips to be planted in Ottawa in recognition Canada's role in their liberation.

Canadians also flew a significant number of the dangerous day time bomber missions over Germany in Lancaster bombers. There is a myth that the United States "protected" Canada from Russion invasion after WW2, while in fact Canadian forces had more combat experience (entering the war in 1939 - not 1942) and had plenty of verteran units and war materials. Canada chose to demilitarize in the post-war period.

In fact, Canada had been a full partner in the Manhattan project and right after the war possessed sufficient nuclear weapons to defend herself (immediately after the war, more than the Russians). Once again, Canada chose to decommision its nuclear arsenal after the war, though Canadian Air units stationed at Laar, Germany during the cold war flew bombers capable of nuclear strikes.

As recently as 2006, JTF2, Canada's Special Forces unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation by the United States for relieving elements of the 82nd Airborne "preventing significant loss of life" with deadly accurate sniper fire, with one marksman setting the record for a long distance kill at 2,430 meters (1.509 miles) using a .50 caliber (12.7 mm) McMillan TAC-50 rifle. The world's first special forces unit was a joint Canadian/US unit trained in Canada during WW2.

• Marie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

How can you love a place that you have never been to yet? It's like seeing previews of a movie and you get so excited and love it, then you get there and it's a major disappointment because it was not as great as you expected it to be. I'm not saying Canada is a bad place. In fact, I live her and I love the natural beauty, the friendly people, and our culture has such a great sense of humour in general. But I think that someone should visit parts of Canada first and see what areas they like. Big difference when you are living in Vancouver vs. Winnipeg, especially when January rolls around! Likewise, big cultural differences living in Calgary vs Montreal. It's like putting someone from New York City into the middle of Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin...there will be a slight culture shock.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Canadian Forces (CF) (French: Forces canadiennes; FC), officially the Canadian Armed Forces (French: Forces armées canadiennes), are the unified armed forces of Canada, as constituted by the National Defence Act, which states: "The Canadian Forces are the armed forces of Her Majesty raised by Canada and consist of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces." This singular institution consists of three main branches: Maritime Command (MARCOM), Land Force Command (LFC), and Air Command (AIRCOM), which are together overseen by the Armed Forces Council, chaired by the Chief of the Defence Staff. At the pinnacle of the command structure is the Commander-in-Chief, who is the reigning Canadian monarch, Queen Elizabeth II, represented by the Governor General.

The current incarnation of the Canadian Forces dates from 1 February 1968, when the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, and Royal Canadian Air Force were merged into a unified structure. Its roots, however, lie in colonial militia groups that served alongside garrisons of the French and British armies and navies; a structure that remained in place until the early 20th century. Thereafter, a distinctly Canadian army and navy was established, followed by an air force, that, because of the constitutional arrangements at the time, remained effectively under the control of the British government until Canada gained legislative independence from the United Kingdom in 1931, partly due to the performance and sacrifice of the Canadian Corps in the First World War. The Canadian forces were then heavily involved in the Second World War (which, as with the previous world war, involved conscription) and Korean War, and, from the 1950s on, adopted more the role of a peacekeeping force within United Nations sanctioned conflicts.

The forces are today funded by approximately $20 billion annually ranked 16th, and are presently ranked 74th in size compared to the world's other armed forces by number of total personnel, and 58th in terms of active personnel, standing at a population of roughly 66,000, not including the 26,000 reservists.These individuals serve on numerous CF bases located in all regions of the country, and are governed by the Queen's Regulations and Orders and the National Defence Act.

• 1 decade ago

That's right. Canada has no militry, but it does have a military. Is it true that the US has no education?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Randy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

We better have or I've been collecting a pay cheque for nothing for the last 29 years. And on top of that, why have I spent 7 six month tours being shot at in places like Haiti, Bosnia and Afghanistan?

Darn, I'm checking with my boss this morning.

• 1 decade ago

Canada does have a military.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Every country has some sort of military.. Canadas one of the biggest countrys, its common sense.

Your boyfriends stupid.

• 1 decade ago

Your boyfriend is wrong. Canada does have a military.

Source(s): I Am Canadian
  • Joker
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Your boyfriend is wrong, Canada has a military.

Here are countries with NO military

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_wit...

• 4 years ago

What's a "militry"?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.