Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Do any Canadians ever get tired of americans trying to potch our players?

Brett Hull is a good example of this, Brian Trottier, Adam Deadmarsh, Colin Wilson, Zach Parise, Mike Knuble, Jason Pominville, I'm getting sick and tired of the USA national team potching our trained players just because at the time they weren't quite good enough to make team Canada so they instead go and play for team USA because it increases there chances of playing in the Olympics,

In Zach Parise's case he's not truely an american, he was just born there because of his Father who was Canadian, played for the New York Islanders, JP Parise, I feel kind of ripped off because I don't see Parise as truely American, if his dad had played for the Maple Leafs or Flames than he would've been Canadian which kind've angers me a bit.

Hell these guys even tried to convince Brandon Sutter to play for there crummy National Development Program because he was born in America, but luckily father Brent Sutter got mad at that and convinced his son to play for Team Canada and the CHL.

And as for Jason Pominville, just because he is talented but not quite talented enough to play for team Canada, it seems like a dick move to play for USA just because you want to "increase his chances" to play in the Olympics.

Brian Trottier, there is no way to defend his motivations, that was just an outright dick move to do to his Country, blatant middle finger pure and simple.

Brett Hull, same as Trottier, only he was cut from Canada's Junio team as a16 year old, but I can't imagine how his Father Bobby Hull, felt about this move, one of the Greatest Canadian hockey players of all-time.

I might sound like a hypocrite seeing as 3 team canada camp invites were born in America, Tyler Myers, Brandon, Kozun and Dylan Olsen were all born in America but moved to Canada at a young age, but the main point still stands,

Americans should feel just a little shallow for being handed some of there best players to them from us, I'll give you Credit for your midget Kane and Phil Kessel though.

But yeah anyhow, do Canadian's feel just a little bit mad that Team USA continues to potch some of our best players in some capacity?

I sure as hell do.

Favorite Answer

Brett Hull is of canadien descent, but was born in the US so he has the right to play for either team. Even if the US was poaching players why would you be mad, the US honestly hasn't had much international success since 1980 so stop complaining

Potch? Is that a Canadian term? Not trying to be insulting, I honestly never heard the term. In the U.S. it would likely be poaching as the term you mean. Seriously though here is what I'm missing. If the U.S. is taking "some of the best players" then why are they the players not good enough to make the Canadian National Team? They aren't the best players and you shouldn't really miss them. I mean it seems like the Canadians in general are still doing better. So my thought is talk to the IOC. They make the rules for the International play. Anyway I say stop having the Pros play, let the college and Junior League players get a chance to show on an international stage again.

• If i was Canadian i would be more mad at the fact that younger Americans go to Canada for better competition.

It's a simple fact: If you're born in the US of A, you are eligible to play for them in the Olympics

if not, then yeah. B'itch to the Olympics, not here.

Canada is doing a hell of a lot better than USA will ever do, who cares if you lose a player or two anyway. Chances are those players will make it more interesting,

EDIT: Miles who the hell are you to say that?! The canadians play in the NHL in AMERICA because we have the largest fan base. Canada doesnt have enough population to support an entire league. Also there are many european players that play aswell, its not all canada.

Well if you knew anything about citizenship, a person is a citizen of the country in which they were born. People who are born in the U.S. and their parents are Canadian citizens can be dual citizens(which means citizens of both countries) Nobody is ripping you or anybody else off! If they weren't good enough, why would it bother you so much?

As far as Trottier, he became an American citizen because he saw that being an American is superrior and after living in the States for so long saw that. Many others have done that during or after their careers.

Yo kid - do you mean poach?

Ever seen who plays for Germany, Switzerland, Italy and a whole host of other countries in International and Olympic competition? Yup, lots of Canadians who weren't good enough to play for Canada's number one team. We try not to worry about it. Besides, it makes for better competition. Hockey would probably not be an Olympic sport if Canadians hadn't played for other countries. For a while, there was simply no competition for us. We won one Olympic game 22 - 0 way back and we weren't even sending our best players. These were Sr A teams. The Whitby Dunlops and Trail Smoke Eaters. I even think once we sent the RCAF team and still won.

It happens in reverse in baseball. The Netherlands were in the World Baseball whatsamathingy last year and a good chunk of them were Americans. Mark Teahen played for Canada because one of his parents were Canadian but he was born in the US.

• Braden

Why are you getting mad at the Americans? The Canadian players decided for themselves that they wanted to play for America. Which, by the way, they are free to do. Some how if an American wanted to play for Canada, you wouldn't be making such a big deal out of it.

• Maria

Yes, I have! Not only do I live only a short sail from Canada, I have some Canadian friends that constantly urge me to cross the border, but... well, I'm a Detroit grrrl, and the only plans I have to move to Canada right now are in the event of a nuclear attack or some such BS and then I head for the Hudson Bay. Through Canada, and up. Way up. Damn, my passport is not up to date though!

So wait, people born in America aren't allowed to play for America?

Hmm, in that case Milan Lucic should be playing for a central European team since his family is from there, Nazem Kadri should also be playing for a country other than Canada since well his family only lived in Canada, they weren't born their either and non of the kids of Russian, Finnish, or Swedish players of the last two or three generations should be playing for Canada either.

Get a life.

• This happens in many sports...if a player is qualified to play for multiple countries, ultimately it's up to that player to decide what country they want to represent.

International football (soccer) is rife with this (smaller nations openly recruit players who have a grandparent that qualifies them, and have the government issue passports in record time), as is rugby union (and a whole host of other sports that involve international competition). You can easily add a host of Olympic sports to this list.

Canada's efforts at recruiting players for the Olympic basketball team mean we're not exactly simon-pure on this one. Football's Owen Hargreaves (grew up in Calgary, qualified to play for three countries, chose to represent England)...he made the best decision he could (if he would have picked Canada he would be a permanent fixutre on the International roster, and yet-he chose England as a "role" player).

Most federations have eliminated the jumping-around bit (call it the "one country rule" if you want)...once you're beyond a certain level there's no swapping out.

Look...as long as the player is qualified based on the rules as defined by that sport's federation...so be it. I can't blame any athlete who wants to participate in the Olympics and uses the rules in a legal manner (by choosing which country he/she wants to represent) to give them the best chance.

yes i do, i feel ripped off that the Americans have stolen the sport and turned it into some sort of NBA NFL wanna be.

26 american teams (with mostly canadian players) and 6 canadian teams?!? it doesn't make sense that the country who invented the sport, get ****** over on its highest level of play just because they want the sport to make more money.

no body cares about the fans in the NHL anymore its all about the dollar.

Actually its because America has the largest CORPORATE sponsorship as far as ticket sales and merchandise sales the Canadian teams make up 60% of the leagues revenue there,

and to be honest i think the sport was much better before the big T.V at least the League was being driven by something real then FANS, not cities full of people who dont give a **** about the sport but have big corporations who just want to turn a profit off of the game.