Can someone please give a good explanation as to why Obama will not provide his birth certificate?

I have searched through Yahoo! Answers, only to find myriad questions like this one with no good answer. Why hasn't he provide his birth certificate? Why won't he? If there is nothing to hide, and he feels good enough about admitting to illegal drug use in the past, what qualms does he have with "admitting" he was born in America? It doesn't make any sense. If he is truly American-born, as he claims, why won't he provide any official documentation to prove it? And don't tell me that "officials from all 50 states had to attest to his candidacy." There is no reason for him to refuse to show it, unless he wasn't born in America.

Update:

Thanks to those who provided the digital certificate. I was not aware of that. But this does bring up a new issue. This isn't the original birth certificate. It is computer generated. I am not making any allegations as to its validity, but it could have very well been faked.

And even if it is real, it just makes him seem even more suspicious. He had a digital copy all along, yet it was too complicated to provide it? I don't understand....

Update 2:

Wow, just how many stupid people are there on this website? I asked for a reason, not for people telling me to "give it up." If I listened to what morons like you said, I wouldn't have posted this question in the first place.

Thank you to those who gave this question some thought. But no one has explained why there was such a delay on such an important issue.

Update 3:

Apple: Firstly, I have a hard copy of the birth certificate, not some digital nonsense. Secondly, no President has had to deal with this because there has been no controversy as to their birthplace. If you have a half black, half white man running for office, and it is unclear where he was born, and his Kenyan relatives claim he was born in Kenya, do you not see why there has been controversy? Obama's father is from Africa. Did you know that?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He actually produced that Certificate more than a year ago, it wasn't recent (June of 2008). He wasn't hiding anything -- when the question came up during the campaign, they posted it. Later, when people claimed it was a fake (those people were later debunked, and the document is real), Factcheck.org went to the campaign and photographed the certificate in much more detail.

When you ask for a certified proof of birth these days, many states will send you a computer-generated, sealed and signed document similar to the one posted. It is sufficient to prove citizenship for driver's licenses and passports. (My PA certificate has even less info, and I used it to get my ID and passport, no problem at all.)

In actuality, NONE of Obama's relatives claim he was born in Kenya. They've all consistently said Hawaii. The famous one about the grandmother is explained here. http://www.obamaconspiracy.org/2009/01/independent... Listen to the whole transcript yourself, and it's pretty clear that the answer to the question "were you present when he was born" was translated as "were you present (in Kenya) when he was born (in Hawaii)." The interviewer had an agenda, the translator was in the middle, and the grandmother insisted all along that Obama was born in Hawaii. The youtube video cuts the tape off early, the whole tape reveals the truth.

To the above poster, the Supreme court has never defined a natural born citizen has having 2 citizen parents. They've been leaning towards birth alone being the definition, but your cases cited don't say 2 citizen parents are necessary. If they did, Hillary Clinton and John McCain would have been all over that -- and Bobby Jindal and Chester Arthur wouldn't ever have considered running for President. Arthur's father was an Irish citizen. It's been done before.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because having his opposition chasing after documentation is a very clever distraction. It keeps the people from realizing that he isn't a "natural born citizen" as required by the Constitution.

A "natural born citizen" is a person born on US soil to two US citizen parents.

"Natural born citizen" and the Supreme Court:

Minor v. Happersett http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/US...

Perkins v. Elg http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?c...

Kwock Jan Fat V. White http://supreme.justia.com/us/253/454/case.html

A US Natural born citizen is legally defined as a person born on US soil to two US citizen parents, a person who has only US citizenship at birth.

A "native citizen" is a person born on US soil, without regard to the parent's citizenship. On Obama's "Fight the Smears" website, he says that he is a native citizen. (the cached page is still available) http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:xnG_Zsb96cYJ:w... Obama is a native citizen, but because his father was not a US citizen, he is not a "natural born citizen".

The "Fight the Smears" site also quotes Factcheck saying:

“When Barack Obama Jr. was born on Aug. 4,1961, in Honolulu, Kenya was a British colony, still part of the United Kingdom’s dwindling empire. As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.

Since Sen. Obama has neither renounced his U.S. citizenship nor sworn an oath of allegiance to Kenya, his Kenyan citizenship automatically expired on Aug. 4,1982.”

Did you catch that?

"his Kenyan citizenship" meaning the citizenship of our 'president'. He was born with Kenyan citizenship. He is not a "natural born citizen" and is well aware of that fact.

Do you see why he lets the people chase around trying to find birth certificates, school records, medical records? He keeps his opponents busy with things that don't matter.

Clever, very clever.

{Edit} To the poster below:

Every time the Supreme Court has called a person a "natural born citizen", that person has been born on US soil to two US citizens. (Remember that, prior to 1920, when the husband became a naturalized citizen, the wife automatically became a naturalized citizen as well.) Read the cases and you will see that it is true.

Bobby Jindal isn't a natural born citizen. Chester Arthur wasn't a natural born citizen,and hid that fact. It wasn't discovered until last year. Just because one person got away with being an illegitimate president doesn't mean that it is OK now. It is still a requirement to be a "natural born citizen" in order to be a legal president.

• 1 decade ago

Because the debate makes republicans look silly and erodes their power base.

Democrats don't care if Obama ever releases the ultimate proof. The more republicans spend looking like idiots on the topic, the more independents they will lose.

• Do YOU have your original birth certificate? NO! That stays at the government office. Whatever you have is a copy, trust me. No one has their original birth certificate.

Also, name me another President who has had to go through this crap.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He did show it. It was widely publicized. You must have missed it.

Even so, let's think critically for a moment. You believe that no Republican or nonpartisan employee or ANYONE bothered to check and see if the President of the United States was a true citizen? Really, man? REALLY? Only YOU have this astronomically important, world-changing information?

The desperation and absurdity of this "birthplace" claim is making Republicans look as bad as Democrats did in the Bush era.

Source(s): http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthcertific... And critical thinking. And common sense.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Umm... Isn't it kind of his business anyway?? and you seem like an angry republican who can believe that after years of a jackass president were finally getting a good one who will do something decent for this country.

• 1 decade ago

The source below has his birth certificate and the announcement in the Honolulu advertiser of his birth.

Give it up!

• He does not want Biden to take his job.

The issue beyond where he was born is if he was a foreign citizen.

• 1 decade ago

He has. It has been posted. The State of Hawaii authenticates it. If there's a problem with that, perhaps you should take it up with the Hawaiian authorities.

• 1 decade ago

He's not one of us, and the morons that support him don't have a clue what his true agenda is. He doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself and his control over the American people.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.