Fellow Wiccans, is it time to take our religion underground again?

Hello all: I'm playing Devil's advocate here, so please bear with me. :-) Fellow Wiccans, should we take our religion underground again? (Well, as underground as it ever was, and as underground as the Gardnerians are today.) Looking at the influx of "Charmed" and "Buffy"-inspired... show more Hello all:

I'm playing Devil's advocate here, so please bear with me. :-)

Fellow Wiccans, should we take our religion underground again? (Well, as underground as it ever was, and as underground as the Gardnerians are today.) Looking at the influx of "Charmed" and "Buffy"-inspired people, or those who presume that reading a book or two makes them an expert, would it be better to practice in the "old way", where a seeker had to work like the dickens to find a coven, take oaths of secrecy, and pass many tests and a year-and-a-day outer court to even be considered for membership? Would this result in a more consistent and higher quality profile (so to speak) for our religion?

Or is the current openness of Wicca overall a good thing?

As always, thanks to everyone who takes the time to respond.
Update: ETA: To Wolfechu II... yes, dear, ad hominem attacks make you look very mature.
Update 2: Some of the responses to this question are very good arguments why Wiccans should go underground again... it would mean dealing with a lot fewer fools.