Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

German "Ach du lieber"?

I know in German "ach du lieber" is supposed to be something like "Oh, heavens" out of shock or even sympathy, but is there a phrase for something like that but not out of sympathy? For example:

John: The coffee's by the fridge, so you know. I'll be in my office.

Dave: Okay, thanks.

2 minutes later

- Dave walks into John's office-

Dave: Wait, where's the coffee?

John: Oh, for the love of...

Yeah, I got a bit creative there. But sort of the version of "Ach du lieber" used in a mocking or exasperated tone. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

If you are friends with the person... you can jokingly say, "Ach, du Scheiße!" That is a little bit more dramatic, and funnier.

Errr, Ach, du lieber... is actually Oh my dear ...

As in Ach, du lieber Gott in Himmel. Oh, my dear God in Heaven.

I don't know if you want to use the one above which is "Oh, you S hit"

Transliteration wouldn't really be advisable, because the idiom is different, you see.

Let me see, Dave : Wait , where's my coffee?

John : Lieber Gott! Nahe der Kuhlschrank.! Beloved God!, near the fridge!

This would be better, actually, because here it's like "God give me Patience with this dumbkopf Dave."

Not too precise, but, close to what you want. and you'll need to umlaut the "a" and the "u" in nahe and kuhlschrank, because I don't have the German keyboard.

Sorry I could'nt help better.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

German "Ach du lieber"?

John: The coffee's by the fridge, so you know. I'll be in my...

Source(s): german quot ach du lieber quot: https://tr.im/CIUNF
  • gay

Octa Lieber

In the "Snoopy s Christmas Song" a "German" yells "Ach Du lieber"....always wondered what they meant.

Yes, you are right, people might also say, Du lieber Gott, or Ach Du Scheisse.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/nKOSk

' Ach ' is more a vocal expression of surprise or shock. ' Du ' is the informal/familiar you. As in ' Hey you. ' ' Lieber ' is from the root ' Lieb ' : Love. Where'd'ja hear that? I never have.

• Rain

ach du lieber Gott or ach du lieber Himmel

You can translate it with "Heavens!", "Dear me! Dear heaven...

Literal: Oh, for the love of God!

Colloquial: Oh, for God's sake!

"Gott im Himmel" = Lit. "God in Heaven"; Coll. "Good heavens" or "For heavens's sake"

• ?

Was interested in the answer too