ZL asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

PLEASE HELP TO RATE MY COMPUTER'S SECURITY LEVEL (1-10)?

Hey guys!

I am actually searching and testing out for the best possible FREE combinations of security softwares and I need your help.

Please help me rate my computer's security level by the score of 1-10.

Comments on every software I am using or any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

This is the FREE security combination I am using:

1) Avast! Home Edition v4.8 (Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Anti-rootkit, 7 other real-time scanning modules, etc)

Comments: ______________________________

2) Comodo Internet Security w/o Anti-virus - replaced with Avast! (Firewall, HIPS - Defense+, etc.)

3) Internet Explorer 8 (SmartScreen Filter, Pop-up Blocker, etc.)

4) McAfee SiteAdvisor (service that reports on the safety of web sites)

5) Web Of Trust (service that reports on the safety of web sites)

6) Secunia PSI (locate, assess, and assist with patching the insecure programs installed on our PC and which expose us to security threats)

7) CCleaner (i don't think this is classified under security softwares but anyway, it scan and clear all the craps in our computer and fix the registry)

8) Windows Defender (i know it is more or less useless, but since it is already built-in, i guess it can be used as an add-on support to the other softwares by leaving it activated)

9) Windows Firewall (activated together with Comodo without conflict. i know it is more or less useless, but since it is already built-in, i guess it can be used as an add-on support to the other softwares by leaving it activated)

10) Windows 7 with Automatic Windows Update activated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall score: __ / 10

Overall comment or recommendation: ______________________________

Recommendations of other FREE combinations / softwares: ______________________________

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Update:

New computer with everything at it's default configurations. including IE8 browser, all the softwares i have installed, etc.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1) Avast! Home Edition v4.8 (Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Anti-rootkit, 7 other real-time scanning modules, etc)

Comments: Decent AV. User preference I suppose.

2) Comodo Internet Security w/o Anti-virus - replaced with Avast! (Firewall, HIPS - Defense+, etc.)

Comments: Decent protection, but tends to misinform you about traffic.

3) Internet Explorer 8 (SmartScreen Filter, Pop-up Blocker, etc.)

Comments: Great browser.

4) McAfee SiteAdvisor (service that reports on the safety of web sites)

Comments: Useful. Microsoft offers their own service. User preference.

5) Web Of Trust (service that reports on the safety of web sites)

Comments: Useful. Microsoft offers their own service. User preference.

6) Secunia PSI (locate, assess, and assist with patching the insecure programs installed on our PC and which expose us to security threats)

Comments: Meh... Don't care about this one.

7) CCleaner (i don't think this is classified under security softwares but anyway, it scan and clear all the craps in our computer and fix the registry)

Comments: Great tool, just not for "security."

8) Windows Defender (i know it is more or less useless, but since it is already built-in, i guess it can be used as an add-on support to the other softwares by leaving it activated)

Comments: It does some things well. Rather redundant. Nothing more than a drain on the system.

9) Windows Firewall (activated together with Comodo without conflict. i know it is more or less useless, but since it is already built-in, i guess it can be used as an add-on support to the other softwares by leaving it activated)

Comments: One or the other. DO NOT run two at once. I prefer having no firewall and simply disabling unused services. Nothing to exploit, no reason for a firewall.

10) Windows 7 with Automatic Windows Update activated.

Comments: Most secure general purpose OS on the home market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall score: 7 / 10

Overall comment or recommendation: 7/10 is the highest rating I will give software based security. Real protection comes from the proper configuration of the OS. Rather than covering up your machine with a firewall, disable anything that can be externally exploited. Lock down file permissions. Set group policy that is actually effective. You can make IE immune to malware by simply running it as a separate user, and denying that user execute permission for the local settings folder and all temp folders. You can do the same for IE's addons such as Flash and SilverLight. Disable all of the hidden administrative shares. Set strong passwords. Use passwords of length greater than 14 character and/or passwords including unicode characters 179-200. These both invalidate LANMAN hashes that are included for compatability with older versions. Windows is highly secure with the proper configuration, surpassing anything you can achieve with Linux, UNIX, or OSX. It has a proper reference monitor and the most secure file system available to consumers. Use it.

Recommendations of other FREE combinations / softwares:

services.msc

gpedit.msc

explorer.exe

Source(s): 10 years in IT security.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

8/10

I don't like CCleaner because it like to delete files and keys that you need. You are going to have a problem with Windows Firewall and Comodo being both on. I have both with Windows Firewall turned off. Another free program that I would suggest is called Spyware Blaster. It'll help prevent browser hijacking. Also download a hosts file. I use MVP Hosts.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Overall score: 8 / 10

Overall comment or recommendation:

This Is Okaii :-)

Recommendations of other FREE combinations / softwares:

Malwarebytes <<free and good for trojans

and WOT<<Add on to check for unwanted sites

gl

xx

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow. This is incredible.

This question takes the paranoia on Yahoo Answers to a whole new level.

Congrats. Bet your box runs slower than my old Trash-80.

If you had a problem on your machine i'd be removing all of that crap except Comodo, putting Avira/Malwarebytes on it and switching your browser to one that doesn't suck and actually has an understanding of security, like Firefox.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

7/10

Free antivirus just doesn't work as well as paid versions do. Consider that 30-40 THOUSAND new threats are created every day. Free antivirus companies can't keep up because there is no money involved.

Source(s): Been removing malware for over a decade, from clients like you.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Run the Windows Experience rater in the control panel. That will rate it for you!

Hope this helps!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

5 out of 10 you can only do so much with free software.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.