Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Under 0bama, a 55 yr old McD's worker gets the same healthcare as a Chemical Engineer. That's fair. Right?

McD's will only have to pay about $2,000 per year (8% of salary) to Uncle Sam to cover the man. Dupont will have to pay $8,000 to $12,000 since the engineer will earn about $100,000 to $150,000.

Favorite Answer

Actually, no. The McD's worker got fired, because McD's couldn't afford to pay everyone's healthcare coverage, so they had to let a lot of people go. So now the McD's worker gets healthcare, but WE have to pay for it.

So whats the answer, that you are more important at your level of society than some one at McD's... Thats crap... We are all entitled to be healthy... period... and to that end the person who had the oppurtunity to be the engineer is no more important than some one who was only capable of working the McD's job... Many of the idiots that I watched move up the ladder over my 35 years where there because they didn't have the intelligence to accomplish the work on the floor. Example? As a lead mechanic at an airline I was responsible to make sure that the work on the aircraft was completed by the morning flight time. I asked a mechanic that had completed his easy task to help one of the mechanics in the cabin complete their task. a half an hour later I was up in the cabin and found the mechanic sitting in a seat reading a novel instead of helping. 30 days later I was working for this same lazy jerk as my foreman. His friend was a manager, and he was upgraded. This wasn't the first time and I had spoken to the foreman about him who refused to do anything about the problem. My point is that many in our society don't achieve their position through hard work and certainly there are many that through the luck of being born to affluence are able to go to college and achieve their dream. One of the smartest mechanics I ever met started as a Janitor. He happened to be Black and in the 50's that was all that was available to him. My point is that I place no more importance to the person of affluence than I do the person who is struggling. We can't all be engineers and if there isn't a worker to build that engineers dreams and make it a reality then it doesn't get built. So how important is the guy at the bottom? Very important.

So I suggest that we have the same level of empathy for all our citizens and give all levels of society the same access to Health. It will be better for society over all. It might even minimize the level of Arrogance I see in your question.

• Doc

And they will all get the same benefits as does our military. Remember, the military gets far less than competitive wages but makes up for it with "great benefits." That being the case, what incentive will there be to entice our young into the military? Oh that's right, the Dem.s hate the military and everything it stands for (their rights and freedom).

As for those who believe that they will be allowed to keep whatever health care plan they currently have, the bill requires that within 5 years all insurers will be required to meet the Obama standard -- meaing they'll not be allowed to make a profit. Now, ask yourselves this: if the company you now work for can't make a profit what will happen to your job? No profit, no private insurers. No private insurers, no options left available. EVERYONE will be required to have Obama Care. What a load of crap! Not very well thought through.

Source(s): "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!" JFK
  • Belle

Of course it is!

Who would you appoint to judge one person's life more valuable than another's? Perhaps you should move to Burma or North Korea - no such dilemmas there!

Additionally, Dupont SHOULD pay more - if not least for contributing poisoning the world somewhat more that McD's (who, to be fair, cause a great deal of pollution themselves in terms of waste, animal cruelty etc)

You guys have to get over the L'Oreal message - it's NOT all about you - it's about US as a planet of equals ...

Source(s): For the record, the 'American Dream' was never meant to be for 'few' at the expense of the many - re-read your own Constitution guys - many of you lost the plot somewhere along the line ...

It looks right

Both companies are paying the same percentage of their employee's salary to provide healthcare for that employee

I would venture to guess that both the burger flipper and the chemical engineer fall within their company's accepted payroll percentages

So once again the cost of healthcare load is distributed equitably.

Who knows what will come out of congress?

But, there are more people similar to the 55-year-old fast food worker then there are 55-year-old chemical engineers. If you were a politician, whose vote would you try to attract?

• ash

Cite where everyone has to pay 8 per cent of their salary for their insurance premiums.

But even if that's true, what is your problem? You prefer that the McD's worker should just go die under our current "pay or die" system of health care?

I make $36K a year (after taxes and benefits are taken out) as an analytical chemist. I shouldn't have to fork over more to help some illegal alien.

yes it is

a) health care is a human right - if we have the ability to alleviate suffering, we have a moral Christian duty to use it

and all advanced societies, and most backward societies, recognise that

b) we all pay for other peoples illness, regardless of what job they do, so providing them good quality health care saves us all money

c) it makes our economy more competitive and flexible, co speople can change jobs easily

So yes, not only is it fair, its right, and its good for our society and economy

That's probably because the McDonald's worker is a " czar " in the Obama administration.