John asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 1 decade ago

What should i do in case if a hurricane comes into my state ?

I live in columbia south carolina and i've heard about the possibility of landfall out of one of these new tropical storms in the atlantic ocean. Tropical storm ana according to the local weather says it has a small chance of effecting the southeast coast, but they say tropical storm bill has a great chance of intensifying and making landfall in the southeast coast. In case if tropical storm ana or bill comes in as a tropical storm what would i need to do to be ready ??? Also if these storms comes in as a hurricane, would it be the same as a tropical storm or is it different ? Would you need to prepare differently if it comes in as a hurricane ?? Can anyone tell me what i should do in case if these storms comes into my state ? I'm just keeping an eye onto these storms and tracking it.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is what you should do before:

* Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).

* Check your disaster supplies and replace or restock as needed.

* Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind (bicycles, lawn furniture).

* Close windows, doors and hurricane shutters. If you do not have hurricane shutters, close and board up all windows and doors with plywood.

* Turn the refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and keep them closed as much as possible so that food will last longer if the power goes out.

* Turn off propane tanks and unplug small appliances.

* Fill your car’s gas tank.

* Talk with members of your household and create an evacuation plan. Planning and practicing your evacuation plan minimizes confusion and fear during the event.

* Learn about your community’s hurricane response plan. Plan routes to local shelters, register family members with special medical needs as required and make plans for your pets to be cared for.

* Evacuate if advised by authorities. Be careful to avoid flooded roads and washed out bridges.

* Because standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding, it’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S. For more information on flood insurance, please visit the National Flood Insurance Program Web site at www.fema.gov/business/nfip.

- While all are large storms of tropical nature, their official storm name has to do with its wind speeds.

When the storms are in their infant stages as just a general area of low pressure that has the potential to strengthen, they're usually given the name "Tropical Depression" (it's not known if it got that name from ruining sunny tropical vacations.) It doesn't get a name like "Betty" or "Donald" just yet, instead, it gets a sequential number, like "Tropical Depression 3."

If the storm's peak winds become greater than 39 mph, then it's now a "tropical storm" and it gets a real name from the National Hurricane Center, like "Tropical Storm Barry."

If the storm continues to grow and reaches wind speeds over 74 mph, it's then a hurricane, but it keeps its identifying name for continuity sake.

Hope I helped and stay informed and safe :)

Source(s): - http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.53... (Tells you what you need to do during and after a hurricane, and the lists you to make and do). - http://www.scemd.org/ (Site where it tells you about emergencies in South Carolina) - http://www.wistv.com/Global/category.asp?C=16014 (Info on weather for Columbia) - http://www.outerbeaches.com/OuterBanks/Hurricanes/... (Hurricane FAQs)
  • 1 decade ago

Dont panic until it get close. Have enough water, flashlights and other stuff. Keep in mind you might have not water or electric for 2 weeks or more. Emergency radio or tv can help to know whats going on. Cell phone needs charged and just turned on when needed. Bathtub if there is any fill it with water once it gets close. Everything loose outside - take in or fix big time, the winds are faster than you think. If you hear any tornado that comes with those storms (they sound like a train is coming) go to the smallest room and cower and put all pillows and blankets over you. Pray. Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

its a category 3 right now and still growing. the path they predicted is that Bill's gonna go up the east coast before eventually making landfall at a random place along the coast. i live in north carolina and never experienced a hurricane or tornado so im getting everything ready

• 1 decade ago

Good answers above...

Along w/ Gasing up your car.. fill your coolers with plenty of ICE (or start making ice) and get enough CASH! Remember when the power is out the ATMs and Cash Registers won't be working either..

but even if and when the Hurricane comes.. still DON'T PANIC! If you are told to evacuate... EVACUATE! (Remember Katrina!)

p.s. I also like to stock up on babywipes, hand sanitizer, bleach and some kind of entertainment like games, books or videos.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Be prepared...Pack all your important things together like social security cards, birth certificates, pictures, etc. Pack can goods, have plenty of water packed, have a radio on hand, have batteries that are workable, have candles on hand too, have matches for the candles, have a working cell phone, pack important medicine, have a first-aid kit on had in-case of an emergency, believe it or not; Have changing clothes for 3-5 days in-case you have to evacuate, have a pillow on hand, blanket or blankets or a sleeping bag, and lastly, the grace of God.

Source(s): The_Enchanted_One.
  • 1 decade ago

leave

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.