Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

IF we introduced a 100% luxury tax on alcoholic beverages, would that pay for healthcare for the uninsured?

According to the Economic Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture, retail sales of alcoholic beverages totaled approximately $115.9 billion in 2003

Read more: http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/2127/Economics-A...

This is a 6 year old figure, if we taxed it at 100% we could raise 120 billion a year for the 18% of americans who don't have health care.. Would that do it?

Update:

Rich, I am sking a question regarding an alternative to overhauling the entire health insurance indistry and health care industry.. WOuld you rahter pay a sin tax for those items that are known to cause helth problems (Cigarettes, Alcohol, low nutritional value foods etc.) Or would you rahter your healcare costs go up ?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Yoda
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, placing a "luxury tax" on alcohol would be wrong.

One alcoholic drink a day is actually GOOD for you.

You don't place a luxury tax on something that is healthful for you just because some people may not drink.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Why does everyone want to tax everything made, consumed, owned, etc. At what point in time do you start holding the politicians accountable for their actions. Stop the special interests and lobbyists from buying them off and start representing the people that elected them.

Its the same thing with the death and doom of Obama and company that have decided its all the insurance companies fault. This is as dumb as a box of rocks, and you idiots buy it. You want to cover the uninsured, expand medicaid. You want to lower costs, make everyone use the same claim form. Stop employee backed insurance and change it to open enrollment. Get the government out as policy makers and let the insurance regulators do their job without political influence.

We don't need self-centered, self-serving, vain, arrogant fruit cakes like Obama, Pelosi and Reid trying to dictate how to run anything. They can't even run their own offices much less a business. Get off this lets pass a law or tax and that will cure everything. That is the height of stupidity.

• 1 decade ago

No because people would start bootlegging,and making their own like they did in the 30's. I mean come on,do you really think someone would pay $30 for a bottle of Whiskey compared to $15? with $30 you could go on the internet get the recipe,and make a couple gallons. Dumbest Idea I ever heard.

Source(s): Prohibition
  • 1 decade ago

By jove, I think you have the answer! It would also boot the economy of Kentucky. Ya know, there would be a big demand for moonshine again.

Either alcohol or Hostess cupcakes. Take your choice. Seriously, I feel we could stand medium sin tax hikes.....on lots of things. Spread out the misery. I would vote for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • like the luxury tax the Dems thought would work in the 90's by taxing yachts and boats? All that did was cause people to quit buying them and put thousands out of work and closed hundreds of businesses. Higher taxes on the rich and on things we want have NEVER worked and will NEVER work. But Liberals are clueless to believe that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Healthcare for the uninsured is already paid for, and has been for decades. Their hospital bills have always been paid for by you through federal and state grants, taken from your taxes.

Best thing you can do is get your rich class to hire Americans, rather than Indians and Chinese.

Sin taxes only serve to reduce sales and revenues, and the net contribution remains about the same.

• MattH
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Nah, but a 200% tax on tobacco... that kills alot more peopel and uses up health care resources more. That way the average smoker will pay for his/her health care plus alot of other peoples. It will even itself out and get peopel to stop using it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is your gripe with alcohol? Do you think it's "sinful" or something.? anyway, you could place a 1000% tax on it, and it wouldn't even scratch the surface of the funds needed.

• 1 decade ago

Alcohol sales would plummet, we would kill a thriving industry and create a black market, and another Kennedy family would rise. Unless anyone really thinks that they would pay 16 bucks for a single margarita.

Peace

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh, absolutely. Meanwhile, I'll just buy mine from Pepe. Why pay tax at all? Because it's my patriotic duty?You just don't get it. Here let me put it in a way you can understand: No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.