Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

Documentation for the IRS for First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Fiance and I closed on our house last week. I am in the process of preparing the following IRS forms:

1. 5405- First-Time Homebuyer Credit

2. 1040X- Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

As nothing else has changed in my return for 2008, is there anything else I should include when I send this to the IRS? Might they need some proof that we really bought the home? How do they know?

• garyg7
    Best Answer

In addition to the forms you mention, you should send a copy of the HUD-1 (the closing statement).

The IRS is taking 12-16 weeks to process the amended returns. You can't e-file the amended return and refunds are only paid by check.

I hope this helps.

Gary

It may speed up your refund if you include copies of the closing "HUD" documents, those legal sheets with the amounts related to the purchase.

you do no longer e-record. you need to record a paper return by using mail. You connect a duplicate of the contract assertion (regularly a HUD-a million style) to style 5405. enable 6 to ten weeks for processing.