Should I go to Berklee or M.I.?

I'm a junior in high school and im starting to come to the realization that college is just around the corner. i DEFINITELY want to pursue a career in music. i play guitar, and have been for about 7 years. i dont like to be cocky or anything, but to give you a realistic idea for the sake of answering the question i think im pretty good. there are probably others better than me out there, but i dont see my talent level being a limiting factor.

anyway ive been checking out contemporary music colleges online. at first i was set on berklee, because it was the only college that taught music that wasnt classical. but i realized that, just like music artists themselves, if you find one college you really like, there are probably others like it out there that you will like as well. so i did some searching, and ive basically narrowed it down to berklee, musicians institute, and mcnally smith. mainly berklee and MI. mcnally smiths kind of a wild card. nothing against boston, but i think the fact that MI is in LA helps a lot too because it would be a lot more helpful of an environment for someone trying to get a band together and hit it big.

any thoughts?

Favorite Answer

It really depends on the kind of education you want. I can't speak for what it's like to go to MI, but Berklee is an amazing atmosphere- small classes with really experienced teachers, classes and ensembles for whatever style of music you want to play, constantly being surrounded by thousands of other very talented, enthusiastic students who share your passions. For the record, Boston is a really great city for music. And if you're trying to start a band, there is absolutely no better place than Berklee. You will meet so many people who want the same thing you do, and you will find the right people to play with if you look.

Side note: Berklee kids definitely end up touring with famous musicians too. A friend of mine was one of three bassists being considered to tour with some really famous female r&b singer (can't remember which one...) and that was just his first semester. The number of alumni who are in touring back-up bands is ridiculous.

Source(s): Berklee student

I'm kind of in the same place too bro. I don't think the Boston-LA thing might be such a big deal, because when you're done with your time in Berklee they try to find you a record deal & get you all set up for your career. I think really its either you want to tour with famous people (MI) or be famous for your professionalism (Berklee).

Source(s): Interviews =]

For a moment there, I thought you simply spelled Berkeley wrong. Anyway, I'd say if MI sounds pretty killer to you, then get in touch with the college, pick up all of the admissions material you can by downloading it from their website, and I'd say make sure if there are any admissions criteria that you complete it before applying.

Since you're dead set on becoming a musician, make it happen and do everything in your power to steer your course.