Colton W asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

BMX vs Mountain bike???

Hey I go to these dirt jumps by my house all the time. I have a BMX and its not THAT great but its good enough...I bought some new wheels and stuff so.I go on jumps like 7 feet high and like wooden paths and stuff. I was wondering what you think is better and why? I have tried my friend's mountain bike and I dont like it as much..but maybe cuz im not used to it.

Best Answer

It's really basic... how old are you? If you're a 'kid' you're fine on BMX, if you're getting older or want your new bike to last you awhile, get a 26" bike. There is absolutely no benefit to BMX bikes unless you're too small to physically handle a 26" bike...

As for the feeling of it, that's just because it's so drasticaly different from the feeling of a BMX. With a bit of practice, you'll be able to do everything you ever could have on a BMX and loads of stuff you'd never even dreamt of trying.

Bmx Mountain Bikes

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

BMX vs Mountain bike???

Hey I go to these dirt jumps by my house all the time. I have a BMX and its not THAT great but its good enough...I bought some new wheels and stuff so.I go on jumps like 7 feet high and like wooden paths and stuff. I was wondering what you think is better and why? I have tried my friend's...

Source(s): bmx mountain bike: https://tr.im/9msN5
  • Susan

I'll still prefer the mountain bike. In the city roads, you will have a limited view if you have a BMX compared to a mountain bike especially if there are a lot of giant size SUVs in your neigborhood

a mountain bike is great. EXCEPT. they are SUPER expensive (for good ones [bad ones will break fast]). a good mountain bike fork (front suspension) costs as much as a full good BMX bike. you would be looking at around $1000-$5000 for a good mountain bike and around $500-$2000 for a good BMX.

a mountain bike also requires more maintenance. you have to service suspension, adjust derailleurs, etc. a BMX is more simplistic and requires less attention.

I find that BMX's are wayyy better for Dirt Jumping. They're more compact, so are tougher, and there's less togo wrong with them.

Though if you really like the feel of an MTB on the Jumps, then look at a DMR or Kona Stuff/Scrap.

all depends on what ur gonna be doin dude bmx is good for dirt jumps mountain is good for dirt trails mountain bikes can not hit dirt jumps good because of shocks they absorb the spring ur supposed to receive from the lip thus less height and distance. ah matter affact a mountain bike is only good for dirt trails really u cnat take them into skateparks or into small areas they to big and to heavy roll with bmx

i would go for an urban freeride bike (mountain bike).. somewhat similar frame geometry to a bmx..except it has mtb size wheels. Usually a front shock. Look into either Giant's STP or Brass lines. Or.. you should look into Chase lines for cannondale.

when u also get one of those mtb, you would have atleast 8 gears...this would allow you to also hit up local trails...versus bmx being ridden only on flat surfaces.

BMX all the way, especially for jumping. its better conditioning too.

if you need to cover ground quickly, discover cyclocross or 29er bikes.

Totally different types of bikes and uses. You need to figure out what you want to use it for.