Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 decade ago

If the Sunny 16 rule states that when there is much sunlight, f/16 and 1/100, which settings?

> which settings do i use for my shutter speed and exposure if i want to have a large aperture - to throw the background out of the picture?Would f/3.5 1/250 work?

Also,can anyone help me with tips,reads on using an flash in a building?My pictures always come out too bright.

I am using a Nikon D60 DSLR

Best Answer

Both the aperture and shutter affect the amount of light hitting your sensor.

What you are looking for is 'equivalent exposures' . Using the sunny 16 rule at ISO 100.

These are equivalent exposures. Research "stops" to be able to make this chart yourself.

Aperture Shutter

F16 1/100

F11 1/200

F8 1/400

F5.6 1/800

F4 1/1600

F2.8 1/3200

F3.5 is about 2/3 of a stop greater than F2.8. Try

F3.5 1/2000

If you are using a dedicated Nikon flash unit, you shouldn't be too bright. You do have the ability (I believe with the D60) to do flash compensation. I don't have a Nikon, not sure what to tell you, but this allows you to change the flash exposure to compensation for things like being too bright. Check your manual and see what you find.

• Sakura

No, you'd have to compensate for the additional light that you're getting from the wider aperture.

Try F2.8 @ 1/4000

or F4 @ 1/2000

learn the fstops and shutter speeds, - the you will never have to ask again

when ever you adjust one the other must follow.

f16@125 = f`11@250th, or for your example 3.5 @4000th or there abouts