im 36 weeks pregnant. i want to douche to feel more clean and to wash out discharge. Is it ok to do so?

will it cause me to go into labor,and have my baby, or what will it do. i hope nothing i douche a couple of times while i was pregnant and it aint do anything and i felt good. (positive answers only thanks)

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Got this off www.womenshealth.gov

Most doctors and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) suggest that women steer clear of douching. All healthy vagina's contain some bacteria and other organisms called the vaginal flora. The normal acidity of the vagina keeps the amount of bacteria down. But douching can change this delicate balance. This may make a woman more prone to vaginal infections. Plus, douching can spread existing vaginal infections up into the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.

Health problems linked to douching include:

•vaginal irritation,

•vaginal infections called bacterial vaginosis or BV,

•sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), and

•pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)

Most doctors say that it is best to let your vagina clean itself. The vagina cleans itself naturally by producing mucous. Women do not need to douche to wash away blood, semen, or vaginal discharge. The vagina gets rid of it alone. Also, it is important to note that even healthy, clean vagina's may have a mild odor.

Regular washing with warm water and mild soap during baths and showers will keep the outside of the vagina clean and healthy. Doctors suggest women avoid scented tampons, pad, powders and sprays. These products may increase a woman's chances of getting vaginal infections.

Source(s): www.womenshealth.gov
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is not safe for you to douche while pregnant. It messes up the balance of the good and bad bacteria in your vagina, and can cause complications while pregnant. You may experience cramping, or infections- Both of which can lead to labor and both are dangerous to your baby. You are lucky that you haven't experienced any problems since doing so already while pregnant. If I were you I would wait until after you have your baby and then ask your doctor if it is safe to do so after the birth. I really wouldn't risk it right now, especially since you are so far into your pregnancy. I am sorry you feel unclean, but with all the hormonal changes, that is completely normal. You can try using panty liners to soak up extra discharge, which will keep it from being spread all over "down there". Take a nice warm bath and or shower daily, or more than once daily if it makes you feel cleaner, but please do not douche. Congrats on your pregnancy and Good luck, you only have 4 more weeks to go!

Source(s): Mommy of a 21 month old 31 weeks pg with my 2nd
  • Ryn
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Definitely NOT safe to do! It might make you feel more clean, but all douching ever does is push the bacteria and germs farther into you. Its not even good to do when not pregnant, so doing so now is not a good idea. You don't have much longer to go before the baby will be born. Until then i suggest just washing with a wash cloth every day and maybe using pads or change your underwear often if the discharge is bad enough. Once the baby is born you can douche if you really want to.

• 1 decade ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! While it might have felt good to you, you're washing away ALL of your bodys' natural defenses to infection. And creating a GREAT RISK of causing infection at that. I would NOT recommend for someone to do that EVER let alone when they're pregnant. Please think of what we ALL want the outcome to be which is healthy mama - healthy baby and STOP doing that. See if you can't find other ways of keeping yourself clean, like air drying or a change in diet. These things will also help, and BELIEVE it or not drinking WATER will help you to flush out ALL over your body what is not desirable to be present. Try the natural healthy way instead. GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!

Source(s): WWW.BBNB.US
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Staci
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

They hit everything pretty much on the spot. The human body will clean its own self out. Douching is not the best way to go. it could do allot of damage and cause you to experience problems while in labor.

• 1 decade ago

NO NO NO. douching is a very very very bad thing to do while you are pregnant you should NEVER douche when pregnant. You could do some serious harm. Your vagina cleanses itself naturally by secreting fluids that drain and flush out dead cells, bacteria, and semen. Douching changes the hormone variations and bacteria (good bacteria) levels in your vagina and can lead to certain defects in your baby. You could case serious infections to reach the baby.

Source(s): RN
  • 1 decade ago

i heard ots bad and also the packaging said nto meant during pregnancy im not sure exactly what side effects we should get but i tried it once about 5-6 weeks ago to feel clean and it didnt to anythign to me or baby since iv gotten check at the docs BUT for some reason its not meant for us...you did it a couple times already so i suggest you dont over due it but its your choice

its noraml to have lots of discharge especially at this ending time so even thou if you douche you will still have discharge so whats the point??

your own discharge is cleaning you out thats why it comes out

• LULU
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No, it is NOT ok to douche while pregnant. You will just need to deal with the discharge.

• You shouldn't douche while pregnant or while not pregnant. You vagina has some bacteria that is necessary and douching eliminates that.

39w 2d pregnant with a precious baby girl!

• They say it is not healthy to douche when you are pregnant...I would ask your dr maybe he/she feels differently then mine. Everyone has a lot of discharge during pregnancy and its never really comfortable but it just one of those necessary things I guess...Good Luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.