Honestly, do you *really* care about someone else's opinion on extended breastfeeding?

I don't. I just think it's irresponsible and offensive to pass judgment and insinuate that a mother who nurses her child past 12 months is some sort of pedophile. Their opinion doesn't bother me, just their ignorance and stupidity. How about you?

Update:

EDIT: To "I'm Awesome," or whatever-Reread my question sweetheart. The people I'm am calling "ignorant and stupid" are the ones who make extended breastfeeders feel like pedophiles. Really, if only more people would have paid attention in 4th grade English class.

Update 2:

EDIT: AAA and Seafoam Green you guys said it perfectly. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean that anyone who does it is a sick pedophile.

36 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

LMAO!! HONESTLY?

Not AT ALL

My son is 18mo and he's STILL nursing and I am VERY damn PROUD, you can say wtv the hell you want, but you couldn't do it if you TRIED...

Good for all nursing mothers, especially forus EXTENDED BREASTFEEDERS

WE ROCK*

• 1 decade ago

Honestly, I don't really care what anyone has to say. I am proud that my 19 month old is still breastfeeding, and I think that anyone who has a problem with it should get a life.

There are lots of moms in my town who breastfeed beyond two years. In fact, I have met a few who have breastfed for four years. Our La Leche League chapter has a meeting JUST for extended breastfeeders; its called "Toddler & Tandem Breastfeeding." So there are also many moms breastfeeding more than one child.

Obviously, I am very careful when I head out to the suburbs, aka "formula & pampers central." I don't publicly feed my son in the malls, because I don't want to expose him to other people's negativity. But as long as I am in my neighborhood (which is very liberal), I know that there are SO many other mamas breastfeeding older kids so I am also pretty open about it. Nobody really cares.

Source(s): proudly breastfeeding my 19 month old !!
  • Like some other users have said, it is not for me but that does not make it a bad thing! Baby (or child) is still getting the benefits of breastmilk. I say to each their own. If that is what you and your child want to do, don't listen to anybody else :)

I can't believe I would actually ever agree with Seth, but I do on this question. Pedophilia is a serious matter and the term should not be passed around nonchalantly. Extended breastfeeding is far from pedophilia!

• I don't really care what other people do to feed their children. I, myself, could never imagine breastfeeding a 3-4 year old, but hey, to each their own. I would never say that they were pedophiles though. I may do a double take if I saw a mom breastfeeding a 4 year old, but that's just because it's something I don't see EVER, unless it's on tv. But, like I said before, to each their own. Just because it's not for me, doesn't mean that it isn't ok if someone else does it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I personally thing extended nursing should stop around age 2 I think anything longer than that is a little much. I would never tell someone its sick or perverted though. I don't think nursing is sick and perverted even if the child is past 2. I just think the child is growing up and needs to be using cups and being a kid not a baby. Its your own choice and what ever makes you and your child happy.

I nursed my daughter for 13 months and am currently nursing my son. I will let him nurse until he's 2 if that's what he wants. My daughter weaned herself at 13 months so we'll se how long my son goes.

Source(s): Mommy of 2 breastfed Children
  • 1 decade ago

EDIT: AAA and Seafoam Green you guys said it perfectly. Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean that anyone who does it is a sick pedophile.

That's a good statement-but you need to re-evaluate your answers to those moms who don't want to breastfeed as long as you do. Are you passing judgement on them and trying to push your opinions as the only ones that are right?

I think the last question I read that you answered on breastfeeding implied that the woman who didn't want to do it past 6 months was a bad mom. Road goes both ways.

Source(s): tired of stupid breastfeeding issues....get over it!
  • 1 decade ago

I also posted on the question that made you post this question.

In my opinion, many people who are against breastfeeding and ill informed about it.

I am exclusively nursing my 10 month old and will continue to do so until she decides to self wean. I am VERY pro breastfeeding.

My stepmother is against my breastfeeding and tries to make me nurse in another room, which I refuse. So now we dont get along because of it. Doesnt mean I will stop! I just wont go to my parents house!

• 1 decade ago

I only breast fed my daughter a couple weeks.But that was my own selfish behavior.It was easier for me not to breast feed so I could go back to work faster.I applaud every mother who breastfeeds.They're baby is getting the absolute best nutrition no matter what the age.if we were in Africa (which my grandma lives there so i know) people wouldnt think twice about breastfeeding an older child.ITS THEY'RE NUTRITION.people who think its sick obviously were taught that a close connection between family is wrong.and there is something sick with that.i feel sorry for them

• 1 decade ago

I don't care what a mom does as long as she is loving and caring for her child. I wouldn't nurse a child over 2, but that's me. Not that I have to worry about it...I can't breastfeed because of my birth defect. Without sounding too judgmental...I know I'd probably raise my eyebrows if I saw a mom nursing a 3 year old.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whatever works for you and your baby go for it. I'm not a fan of extended breast feeding, but that is just my own opinion. IF anyone calls you a pedo again, REPORT them and then ignore them. That way they can't answer your questions anymore. That's what I started doing.

Source(s): myself.
  • 1 decade ago

Sadly, yes. Since I nurse my kids beyond the "socially acceptable" time period, I have to be aware of what society says about my parenting. I'd love to stay blissfully unaware of what others think of how long I nurse my kids, but I don't want to expose them to the kind of ugliness that comes out on this site.

As a result, after my kids turn three, we have to be very, very private about nursing. And that's a shame.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.