Why are people so convinced that Alice in Wonderland is a gothic creep-fest?

For as long as I can remember, and especially now, with the upcoming release of Burton's interpretation, people have been going on and on about how Alice in Wonderland is such a terribly creepy book with tortured characters and gothic undertones... goodness, did these people even read the book? I have always read it as a fantastic fairy tale - a bit bizarre, incredibly imaginative, but not disturbing. Not like the stories churned out by the Brother's Grimm... Am I missing something here?

Favorite Answer

It's a shame that some people spoil our childhood fairytale books by looking into the story too much and making them into bizarre fantasies.

I know right? I really don't see anything wrong with it. People must just think WAY too much about Lewis Carrol's drug use and write it off immediately. Arthur Conan Doyle (the guy who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books) did drugs, too, but nobody ever complains about that.

They're probably convinced that it's all dark and gothic-y because there are a lot of goth fans of Alice. In fact, if you go to the mall looking for Alice in Wonderland stuff, they have WAAAAY more at Hot Topic than The Disney Store (no complaining here though; they've got a lot of cute Alice stuff at Hot Topic).

I personaly find dark undertones in it, but I dont think it is as 'dark' as some people make out there to be.

I think it's very surreal, and for the times, probably very dark.

But a lot of the people who do claim the book is dark have never picked the book up or read about it. (I know a lot of these people- and have spoken to a lot of these people) I think it's one of those things that will get darker the more you analyse it. Its also being made darker and darker by films adaptions and video games like American McGee's Alice. Even one of my favourite film adaptions- Jan Svankmajer's Alice is quite gritty.

I personaly agree with the theroy that it's full of metaphores for a little girl growing up, the drink me drink, and eat me cakes effects reflecting the high's and lows etc.

But I do adore this book and it's history, and people are going to have diffirent opinions on it, some may see it darker than others, but whats important is that people get their opinions after acctually reading the book. Not being told by Burton, or Disney what to make of it.

At the time it was written there wasn't anything like Alice out there. Basically it sparked the whole psychologically mindblowing theatrics like creatures that don't exist and strange places with stranger people.

The bizarreness of it was slowly adapted by bizarre people who hailed it as genius and well.. one thing lead to another and its now being overtaken by Tim Burton, which of course reinforces this 'gothic creep fest' notion.

But in other words, you don't see an argyle-sweater-wearing, pleasantville-respectable person going around raving about Alice, now do you?

• Alice

What are you talking about? That book is super creepy! Now, its not as obviously gothic as some idiots make it out to be, but it have evolved into various gothic themed video games, comic books, and the like because of the undertones of insanity. There is a mad-with-power queen who is killing everyone in sight. A mad hatter, whom is mad (and interesting, random fact most don't know here) because of low-grade mercury poisoning. A mercury compound was used to make the popular felt hats and the hat-makers unintentionally breathed the fumes. This can cause a varied myrad of side-effects such as paranoia, hyperactivity, aggression, wild mood swings, hair pigment loss, forgetfulness, hallucinations, muscle jitters and more.

Not to mention the drug use! That thing is one giant acid trip. Also, everything in the story is so morbid... so sad...

Try reading it again with morbid and sick undertones in mind. You may catch things you didn't perviously.

A lot of goths are attracted to the bizzare and imaginative, not always the disturbing. Infect out of all my goth friends none of them are attracted to the disturbing. They usually come off as liking the creepy because most imaginative stuff is somewhat creepy because of it's oddness.

• Kiki

They've probably never read it. I actually found some parts FUNNY, as I'm sure you did too. There were a couple times when I was like, "Woah, that is trippy." But yeah, I was never "disturbed" by it.

yes, you're missing the undertones

alice is constantly in danger of being eaten, killed, used for sacrifice, whatnot

madhatter is a lunatic, cheshire cat has a creepy *** grin, the queen wants to cut her head off, just creepy stuff you know?

its meant for children but has all those things... its like that rhyme ring around the rosies

creepy

I always thought it was just a kids book/movie too..

Uh...gothic? Where on earth did that come from? I've seen suggestions of drug-induced hallucinations, but I've never seen it called "gothic".