Why are people so convinced that Alice in Wonderland is a gothic creep-fest?

For as long as I can remember, and especially now, with the upcoming release of Burton's interpretation, people have been going on and on about how Alice in Wonderland is such a terribly creepy book with tortured characters and gothic undertones... goodness, did these people even read the book? I have always... show more For as long as I can remember, and especially now, with the upcoming release of Burton's interpretation, people have been going on and on about how Alice in Wonderland is such a terribly creepy book with tortured characters and gothic undertones... goodness, did these people even read the book? I have always read it as a fantastic fairy tale - a bit bizarre, incredibly imaginative, but not disturbing. Not like the stories churned out by the Brother's Grimm... Am I missing something here?