Asus G71GX or Alienware M17?

Im trying to decide between a gaming laptop. For $1,600 i can get a Alienware M17. For $1,400 i can get the Asus G71GX.

Details for Asus:

Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor P8700

Features 2 processing cores, 1066MHz system bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.53GHz processor speed per core.

6GB DDR2 memory. For multitasking power.

500GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm) Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M graphics processor With up to 1GB GDDR3 graphics memory for lush images. Supports DSP and Dolby home theater audio with 4 Altec Lansing speakers. 1 HDMI output.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.

17.1" WXGA LED-backlit widescreen display

With a 1440 x 900 resolution brings your movies and games to life.

Details for Alienware:

GraphicsCard: 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870

Processor: Intel® Core™2 P8400 2.4GHz (3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR3 SO-DIMM at 1066MHz – 2 x 1024MB

System Drive: 1TB

Also: if you know any other GAMING laptops please share.

Best Answer

First, those two laptops can't even be compared hardware wise.

G71Gx:---------------------------------- M 17:

CPU: Intel Dual Core 2.53Ghz----Intel Dual Core 2.4Ghz

Ram: 6 Gigs DDR2------------------2 Gigs DDR3

Harddrive: 500Gigs------------------1024Gigs (1 TB)

Graphics: Nvidia 260m--------------ATI Mobile HD 3870

Price: $1400----------------------------$1600

Difference in CPU is pretty easy to understand.

Ram, the DDR3 is much faster than DDR2, but the G71Gx comes with 6Gigs, which is a lot and should be all you ever need, but it's upgradeable to 12Gigs of DDR2. The M17 only comes with 2 gigs of DDR3 memory. Vista alone takes up about 1.5 Gigs, so the M17 would be chugging for memory while playing games.

Harddrive space, well 500gigs is a lot of space, but if you really need more, the G71Gx has two hard drive slots. So you can always purchase a 2nd hard drive of 500 gigs. (The G71Gx, is cheaper any way.)

Graphics: The nVidia 260m is a newer top of the line model for laptops. It uses built in GDDR3 with 1 gig of memory. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 is a lower end model with only 512MB of memory (Half a gig.)

Second, Alienware is owned by Dell. Dell uses extremely cheap materials in their components and are known to break often, especially soon after the warranty expires. Unless your using a massive laptop cooler (which you should have with any gaming laptop any way.)

So this is the case with both Alienware and Dell; same company.

So only thing i like about Alienware is the neat flashy lights, and Dell's really good customer service (they have to have good service because their products suck.)

Asus on the other hand is known for reliability, only common faulty laptop I've heard of from Asus is the G1's motherboard which I believe they don't supply anymore. Also Asus doesn't have the best customer service.

But their laptops are rock solid. The insides have a good design and layout. The chassis of the G71Gx uses the thickest plastic ever, and does not flex like other laptops do.

The speakers are from Altec Lansing which is a top company. (Make sure you open up the Realtek driver and put the equalizer to bass for the fullest sound when not using external speakers.)

Also so far I don't see any stuck or dead pixels on the screen.

The G71Gx seams to play any game currently out with near max graphics with few any problems. (Plays the Crysis demo on High w/ 4x anti-aliasing for me with good frame-rate, and Very High w/ no anti-aliasing with lower performance.)

The G71Gx comes with Turbogear Extreme which is a tool for overclocking the CPU on the fly. As any gaming laptop would, the CPU and GPU both reach pretty high temps during game-play as is, so I don't suggest overclocking the CPU until you get a laptop cooler. I believe the 2.53 dual core is fast enough as is.

Some tips.

If you get the G71Gx, when you first get it, use the "Asus Live Update Tool" to update the laptops Bios which will fix a bug that caused the graphics card to underclock when it reached a specific temperature. No biggy. The laptop got bad reviews when it was first released because of this issue, but since the update, all the reviews have been flawless as I've seen.

Also to keep your laptop running at its best. I suggest you install:

Glary Tools:

http://www.glarysoft.com/gu.html?tag=download

-Once every couple days, run the "One-Click Maintenance",

-Every few weeks, go to the Modules tab > Optimize & Improve > Registry Defrag...

-You may also use the Startup Manager if you understand what your doing, you shouldn't need to use any other modules.

And also install

Smart Defrag:

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=dow...

-Do a Deep Optimize on your hard drive once every few weeks.

Also Nortons comes with the G71Gx (Which sucks), I suggest you uninstall it and install:

Avast Virus Protection:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

-The program is free, to use it, all you have to do is register with your e-mail address to receive an activation key, you wont get any spam.

I hope this was helpful

Source(s): I wrote this review with the ASUS G71Gx-, AND I LOVE IT, had it for a month.

Get the Asus! Asus provides you with awesome service, 2 year warranty (covers accidental damage too) included in the price. I got a G71G in january and they provided me with a $150 replacement power adapter for free, and they also provide batteries if your laptop's battery gets damaged.