Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 1 decade ago

What is the card game called 'Uka'? It was played in an episode of Degrassi?

Where Ellie plays against Dylan's hockey team with Marco and Alex to pay for her rent? Its a card game? It sounded like an intersenting game and i wanted to know what it was and how you play it

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

http://games.yahoo.com/games/login2?page=eu&ss=1

Euchre is a card game that originated with the Pennsylvania Dutch in the nineteenth century. Originally played with a 32-card deck, most often played using a 24-card deck (A, K, Q, J, 10, 9 of each of the four standard suits).

The standard game is played by four players divided into two partnerships. Partners sit across from one another.

The object of the game is to score 10 points.

Five cards are dealt to each player. The four undealt cards, known as the kitty, are placed facedown on the table. The top card of the kitty is turned faceup.

Beginning with the player to the dealer's left and proceeding clockwise, each player in turn has an opportunity to accept the suit of the faceup card as trump, or to decline. If the faceup card is accepted as trump by any player, that player tells the dealer to "pick it up," or may say "I order it up." (If it's the dealer, he or she needn't say anything--picking up the card speaks for itself.) Dealer then takes the faceup card into his or her hand and discards a card facedown. If all four players decline, the card is turned facedown, and each player in turn--again beginning to the dealer's left--may name any suit except the faceup card's suit as trump, or may pass. If everyone passes, the deal is thrown in.

The player who chooses the trump suit, either by accepting the faceup card's suit as trump or by naming a different suit, is called the "maker." Before the play of the hand begins, the maker may announce, "I play alone" or "Stay at home," in which case maker's partner places his or her hand facedown and does not participate in the play. Either of the defenders (the two players not on the maker's side) may also choose to play alone, though this is rare.

Now the play begins. The player to the left of the dealer leads any card by placing it faceup on the table. Each player in turn, moving clockwise order around the table, must play a card of the same suit led, if able. If unable to follow suit, a player may play any card. When all four players have played a card, the "trick" is complete. The trick is won by the player who played the highest trump or, if no trumps were played, by the player who played the highest card in the suit originally led.

The trump suit is special in Euchre. The jack of that suit, called the right bower, is the highest-ranking trump. The jack of the suit that's the same color as the trump suit, called the left bower, is the second highest ranking trump. After that, the trump suit ranks, from highest to lowest, A, K, Q, 10, 9. In other suits, ranks from high to low are A, K, Q, J, 10, 9.

The partnership of the player who names trump must try to win at least three of the five tricks. Doing so scores points; failing to do so scores points for the opponents.

The maker's partnership scores 1 point for making three or four tricks, or 2 points if they manage to take all five tricks (known as a "march"). If they take fewer than three tricks, however, they are "euchred" and score nothing; instead, the defending side scores 2 points.

A maker who goes alone and wins all five tricks scores 4 (instead of 2). Scoring is unchanged for making three or four tricks (1 point) or for failing to make at least three tricks (the other team gets 2). A player should only go alone, therefore, if he or she has a chance to win all five tricks. If a defender goes alone and takes all five tricks, the defending pair scores 4 (instead of 2); otherwise, scoring is the same as when both defenders play.

Source(s): Yahoo! Games Help Files
  • ang
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Card Game Uka

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the card game called 'Uka'? It was played in an episode of Degrassi?

Where Ellie plays against Dylan's hockey team with Marco and Alex to pay for her rent? Its a card game? It sounded like an intersenting game and i wanted to know what it was and how you play it

Source(s): card game called 39 uka 39 played episode degrassi: https://biturl.im/8RrsP
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

I've heard of Rook. Never played it....I never got too into cards exept Poker (but that's another story). Funny cuz' a lot of my family loves cards esp. Gin Rummy. I hated Monotony...I liked Sorry and Life. There was another game I played as a kid... If I remember right, it was Bonkers. You rolled dice and then decided how the game went because it had cards that decided how the track went such as go back 2 or roll again. The whole idea was it would be played different each time. "Bonkers is fun, Bonkers is nice, Bonkers is never the same game twice" so the commercial went. It was a kiddie game. (likely from the 70's or early 80's)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago
    Source(s): Euchre player
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.