Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What do you think about the Obama official linked to the racially charged advertisers boycott of Glenn Beck?

A racially charged activist group called “Color of Change” founded by Van Jones, a special adviser to the Obama Administration, is trying to silence popular radio and Fox News personality Glenn Beck by calling for a boycott of Beck’s TV advertisers.

On July 28th, Beck made a comment on the Fox & Friends morning show about Obama’s reaction to the arrest of Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. During the discussion of “Professor-Gate,” Beck connected the President’s past association with Rev. Jeremiah Wright to Obama’s comment that Cambridge police officer, Sgt. James Crowley, acted stupidly. Though Beck acknowledged most of the Obama administration is in fact white, he concluded that the President’s world experience made him a “racist.”

Now “Color of Change” has bullied at least five of Beck’s big advertisers -- SC Johnson, Progressive Insurance, Geico, Procter & Gamble and Nexus Lexis -- to pull their ads from Beck’s national cable program. Jones, the founder of “Color of Change,” was named Special Advisor for Green Jobs at the White House Council on Environmental Quality -- a key administrative post -- this past March.

Putting tax-payer dollars to dubious use, a not-for-profit organization has hired well-heeled Hollywood publicist Ken Sunshine to further instigate the boycott.

Is the liberal Democrat party running scared or what ? This is suppose to be the party of free speech and civil rights ?

Thanks in advance for your answers. God bless.

Best Answer

People who like Glenn Beck should boycott those companies until they agree to advertise during his show again.

You don't see advertisers pulling ads from Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Greta Van Sustren, etc for a reason. They're conservative, against Obama, yes, but they don't say things just for the sake of being inflammatory (usually) and haven't said things as stupid as accusing Obama of "a deep-seated hatred of white people". Beck merely looks for ratings with these kinds of statements, and it doesn't produce productive debate.

While I'm no right-winger, I feel the rest of Fox News is generally respectful and not reckless with their phrasing of things, just spewing out whatever comes to mind regardless of whether or not it's true.

I think these companies' decisions to remove their ads from Beck's show is a responsible one. Obviously they felt that his remarks could offend people-- I don't believe that any one organization could "bully" that many corporations into removing ads.

No one is suggesting Beck should be forced to stop being so inflammatory. But like you said- free speech and civil rights apply to everyone, even companies. They have a right not to want to be associated with such eccentric and often exaggerated or false "news" reporting and/or commentary from Beck.

P.S. To whoever used Jon Stewart and Keith Olberman as comparisons to Beck-- Jon Stewart is a comedian! He's not a news reporter. Are you even serious? And with Olberman, I'd compare him to O'Reilly or Hannity, not Beck. Beck is in a league all his own that few, if any, liberal reporters have managed to match, sorry if that's hard for you to hear.

Beck has been after Jones for a while, I think he is one of the czars.

Beck is also pissed about a lot right now, feeling like he is being quieted.

I think Beck is getting silent support from Hannity, and should.

• ?

So? There have been boycotts like that for ages, and you know they never hold. Glenn Beck is honestly a little insane. If people want to go against him, good for them. He dropped out of college and was at one point an alcoholic and addicted to coke. I don't put very much faith in his ability to be a rational and sensible human being.

• DAR

I think when the power of a public office is used to censor private opinions, it is dangerous to everyone.

I'm not a Beck fan per se, I only watch when he has someone on I like, and usually on youtube, after the fact. However, I did see that Geico was one of the companies dropping him, and I was thinking of switching my policy to them from State Farm. Now I don't plan to.

why would they run scared the only people who care about glenn beck are right wingers

so he cant loose votes over this

he is in a win/win situation

Good luck, with the ratings Beck pulls I doubt this gets any traction. Besides, leftists who would respond to such a stupid idea don't have any spending money anyway.

Source(s): Blameless Libertarian

Fairness Doctrine 2.0 here we come. I hope Obama realizes the Supreme Court found the Fairness Doctrine unconstitutional in the 1980s, and that's why it is no longer around.

He likes violating Amendment I.

Obama actually is a racist. Glenn just told the truth.

i dont feel sorry for the advertisers. its kind of ironic that progressive insurance is one of the advertisers though