Can Asus motherboards run ATI Video Cards?

I am trying to run a PowerColor (ATI) Radeon HD 3850 512mb GDDR3 Dual DVI

Update:

I have a Asus Motherboard and on the box it says:

Asus

Socket 754 for AMD CPU,

NVIDIA nForce3 250,

System Bus 1600MT/s,

DDR400,

8-Channel Audio

So does the "NVIDIA nForce3 250" part on the box mean that i can only run Geforce products only?

Also, it is AGP if that makes a difference!

Update 2:

After a couple answers below, i checked and yes my motherboard, new and old video cards are both AGP but i was looking on box (ATI CARD) and it says GDDR3 when the Asus (Motherboard) box says DDR400 would that be that probley why i cant run this new card?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Romios
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Motherboards only have agp or pci express connectors not both so you need to buy the correct video card. If your motherboard does not have agp or pce express you would have to buy a regular pci graphics card.

• Login to reply the answers
  • ASUS boards can run both Nvidia and ATI products. However if the motherboard is AGP don't buy it since your video card requires a PCI Express slot.

Look for a board that says it has PCI express 2.0. The good ones will have more then one for SLI and Crossfire.

Edit: The motherboard says DDR2 400 because that's the type of RAM it requires. Don't worry about that as it doesn't have anything to do with your video card. Your video card says DDR 3 because that's the speed of the memory that's on your video card.

The thing you do need to worry about is whether or not your Video card is AGP or PCI express.

As long as you have an AGP card and an AGP board you can make it work.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it can run any video card.

Your only problem is going to be with the AGP slot as that is very old technology and there are only a limited number of cards available now that run in an AGP slot.

Check here for your options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Sub...

Honestly, I would not even try to build up a board that only had AGP video. If you use that board, you are going to be spending a lot of $$$ on old stuff that you can't use when you upgrade your system.

PCI Express is the current standard for video cards.

PCI Express 2.0 is the current standard, with PCI Express 3.0 right around the corner.

And these days you can run up to 4 video cards in SLI or CROSSFIRE formations.

• 1 decade ago

nForce mobo doesn't mean it only runs nvidia cards. But your mobo have AGP slot, while HD 3850 requires a PCI-E x16

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

YES! Chipset does not matter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.