beansprout asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Alaskan malamute dog information please?

I am going to buy an Alaskan malamute puppy in two weeks and wanted to know a few things, i have researched a lot about the breed but still not sure about a few things.

How much do they need to eat a day?

What dog food is best to feed them?

Do they get on well with other dogs and cats?

How many times a day do they need to be walked?

Are they aggressive?

anything else you think i should know would be a big help thanks

Favorite Answer

Hey! I just received my Alaskan Malamute puppy 2 weeks ago! He is 11 weeks old. I researched alot too, but I'll tell you more about what I've experienced so far.

They eat alot less than you would imagine. Obviously, when they are puppies and growing they will eat alot, but the amount go down as they get older and more mature. I feed him Taste of the Wild, and the bag has feeding instruction on it, like most do. The amount is given according to weight and age. My 23 pound 11 week old puppy eats 3.5 to 4.5 cups a day. They are prone to bloating, so you are supposed to break up the feeding into 2 or 3 times a day.

Malamutes have a natural prey Instinct, so they must be socialized with cats and small dogs when they are young. They will get along with other dogs as long as you socialize properly, and same with cats. Although you must always be careful around cats and small dogs. :/

I take my puppy for 3 walks a day, about 15-20 mins in duration. These dogs require a ton of exercise when they are grown. They need about 1 to 1.5 hours of proper exercise a day. My pup gets play time too, and toys to keep his mind busy. He doesn't entertain himself much, if he is in the yard he needs to have something to chase or play with. When they are bored they can become destructive and they are natural diggers out in the yard. If you play and keep them busy, you can avoid them digging in the first place. When he is grown up he will need more than just walks and play in the yard. I've heard that having them run beside you while you bike is great exercise. And during the winter they can be trained to pull a sled, great fun since they were bred for it.

I've read that mals tend to be same-sex aggressive to other dogs. My pup is scared of dogs bigger than him, and wants to play with dogs smaller than him. You have to socialize them so they are not aggressive with other animals. Toward people, they are the sweetest! They make terrible guard dogs because they are so friendly. They can be wary of strangers, but my pup certainly isn't.

I hope I helped! I love my pup to pieces, but he is a handful! Make sure this is the breed for you.

Source(s): My own 11 week old Alaskan Malamute and the months of reseach I did prior to getting him :D

I had a friend who bred malamutes and I spent quite a bit of time with her dogs and I think they're great! Her aunt, who lived with her, bred miniature poodles and the dogs got along really well in the house. Because of the size difference you wouldn't let a rambunctious mal out in a large yard with a poodle. These dogs are very high energy, are a northern breed which means they shed a lot, they're smart and easy to train IF you are either an experienced dog person or someone with some common sense - enough to know that this is a large dog and you have to make sure you're the leader right from the beginning. I wouldn't recommend them with really young children only because of their size and, if you have a young dog, they can get really rambunctious when they play and could easily knock a young child over. But temperament wise, they're wonderful. I believe they'd be fine around small dogs if you know how to introduce them and train the dog. I think the 2 main considerations are that they are very high energy and they do shed a lot (you can control that somewhat with regular grooming).

Malamutes are not that pure of a breed. Most can get pretty big and will eat a few bowls of dog food (wet and dry) everyday. Behavior-wise, you will have a big influence on him. They love walking - twice a day but you will need to watch that a malamute does not walk you. Some training is needed since they are a powerful working dog kind of breed - when they grow, they can pull you off your feet. Might need to look at more than the typical leash also.

Source(s): Former owner for 12 yrs.

I'm not an expert on malamutes, but I have a close friend that shows and breeds them. I have helped her with them several times.

They usually eat about 5-6 cups of food a day. They need better food than the "store" brands because they are a larger boned dog that could bloat. But they will eat anything. They love to dig, and they are pretty smart. They are active and require regular exercise and grooming. They are dog aggressive and they will chase small animals. They are not aggressive towards people usually, but they are on the top 10 list of breeds most likely to bite. So they need good, firm and consistant training,.

• Gi

-Being a large breed of dog they eat quite a lot.

Taste of the Wild is one of the best brands of kibble.

-Malamutes are great with pets (except for small animals like hamsters) that they've been raised with from puppyhood and will be OK with other dogs when they have been consistently socialized.

-They need 2 hours of exercise a day or will become destructive.

You can walk one hour in the morning and another during the afternoon/evening/night.

-As long as you consistently socialize your dog with a variety of new people and other dogs then he/she will not be aggressive.

AM shed a ton of fur.

AM are "independent in nature being sled dogs."

So will be a bit harder to train compared to a GSD.

*These dogs are for experienced owners only.*

Your breeder can answer these and many more. Write them all down and give the breeder a call. Also look for a breed specific group to get expert advice.