is she right for thinking like this?

ok me and a friend of 9 years just got into it kinda..because i told her one of my friends is going to be a computer engineer and she said "they make good money if i had the brains for that i would do that" then i thought to myself "its not about money" then i said out loud "so you would do something just because it has a lot of money?" the she said "yes" then i said "its not all about the money" then she said "yes it is these days you have to have money" then i said "just becuase you have money doesnt mean you will be happy" then she told me if i was broke i wouldnt be happy then i told her she didnt know that and i said you have to do something you enjoy doing its not about the money because you can have money and still be unhappy.but she thinks money is all that.and my sister has a ph.d and isnt all the way happy she is almost 39,unmarried and over weight! so i know money isnt everything. i asked her why dont she be a doctor since they make good money and she said "see i know i shouldnt have said that because you wouldnt leave it alone you would say something else"she was referring to how she said the thing about the money. i think she is still childish we're both 17 and she thinks money is the answer to all her problems and she said "in this society you have to have money" but i wanted to tell her that is isnt about everyone in society has.then she said "what you want to do" then i said i didnt know but i'll find out. then she said " see sometimes you'll go to school and think you want to do something and two years later you dont want to do that and waist all that money in college" but i was thinking to myself " well honey, you just said that if you had the brains to be a computer engineer you would go for it because of the money,but you could get tired of that." she wants to be a nurse or physical therapist but she doesnt know she might get tired of that,thats how it is for many people.sometimes i feel a little pressure because of people that make it like you have to have a degree to be successful whenever you dont.i always wanted to sell real estate and in the long run i might make more than her because the economy is gettting better,and i dont have to sell houses i can buy forclosed homes for a few hundred dollars and rent them out,but a lot of people dont know that and dont know what they're talking about.

and people think money is the solution and will make them happ and money is what its about and its not like that.there are so many women that have gone to colleges and did things because of money and still are unhappy and i was just trying to point out to her that its about what she likes i think she's being childish.

and this is why it probably hit a nerve is because i was telling her about one of my friends being a janitor and she laughed...and i didnt like that because my other friend is trying to be her own person and not care about what people think and she makes $500.00 every two weeks more than my friend that was laughing and i felt like that wasnt right.its just a job.

Favorite Answer

Thanks for answering my question first of all.

Anyway, I can see both point of views. I understand what you mean though. True, money is a good thing to have if you want to survive in this world and actually be able to take care of yourself, but it makes me disgusted when people think that's the only thing that's important in this world. Like you said, even if a job you have or the career you're in pays a lot, if you're not happy with it, you're not going to last long.

I don't think it was wrong of you to give your opinion, but I also don't think you should've forced your opinions on her I guess you say? It's her life, and while you can give her your advice, don't get so angry when she decideds not to follow it. As for not being sure what to really major in or do for the rest of her life. That's completely understandable. I flip flop around a lot too. With so many choices out there, it's hard to make just one. As you get older though, you start to more of a sense of who you are and what your likes and interests are.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I understand both sides because I've dealt with all these issues. The only thing you can do is tell her what you feel, let her express her feelings to you, and don't try and force anything on her. While you may not agree with everything she believes, she is still her own person and it's her life. As long as you both end up happy in life, I think that's all that matters.

Good luck and God Bless!

Replying: thnxs for anwering my q. And i dissagree with you. Money does bring happyness but it depends on how you use it. If i had 1 million dollars it will not make me happy because i no that one day that i will end up with nothing again.However the money will only make me happy for the moment but not forever.Furthermore , people that go for jobs for better pay are wrong(<---- i agree with you on this) People should not get a job because it has a high pay, you must be intrested in it too. I am good at Social Studies but i want to become a scientist because i am not interested in SS.I believe that Girls that go to college to make more money are smart because we are not certain that the economy will go and stay up and women jobs are always paid less than man.

Source(s): Knowledge(i am only 16 and i no this)

First of all I'm answering your question as a favor bec u answered mine, but omg I think you were the one in the wrong on this one! I get very annoyed by people like you. She gave a compliment saying if she had the brains like your other friend she'd be in computers too bec it makes a good living. People choose professions in a combination of factors - a. what makes the most money they can qualify for based on their b. qualifications and c. interest in the field. Garbage collectors make very good money but your friend would probably not be interested in doing that even if it made her more money than in the computer field. She made one comment that touched a nerve with you so you took it out on her! Choosing a profession based on making a good living (so you can live in a safe neighborhood, afford a car and food and vacations) is not the same as saying the more money someone has the happier they are - something your friend never said but you concluded. Think about it.

I have a lot of bills right now, student loans tying me down. Yes I would take a job I wasn't crazy about if it paid well because in return it will pay my bills and relieve me of A LOT of stress which in turn will make me happier/higher quality of life and allow me to mentally focus on other things like reading a book without my mind wondering off to my bills, stressing me out and causing health problems. Your arguments were very naive and not realistic, only idealistic. But you will learn through experience, good luck and don't take any differences of opinion out on others such as your friend who has just as much right to her opinions as you do to yours!

There is not right or wrong answer here. The bottom line is that you both have different opinions. In order to continue to be GOOD friends, you must respect each other's opinions and differences. I am 46, have had my best friend since we were 14. We've never had a fight. We love and respect each other. You don't have to agree on everything to be friends. Build on the good, and support each other as you grow and develop your interests. Good luck!

• penn

The change among human and animals that we have got a "pondering brain" ... We human use our minds to do many matters in our every day lifestyles... via pondering we do matters greater... While animals acquired minds .. however they do not use it. Thinking approach is exclusive .. as a result of the difficulty you're preserve in. For a few how causes.. oftentimes you do not believe competently that is when you consider that of the tough difficulty you're in. The extra we believe.. the well we outcome we attain.

You need a job to make money. Money is something that everybody needs to live in our society or you could live in a cave. With a job you make money. And everybody cannot do their dream job. You and your friend had a disagreement, get over it.