What is linux netbook operating system?

I know that it is an operating system, but what does that even mean? I have windows vista now, and heard that linux is better, but I'm not even sure what it is supposed to be better at!

Can it go on any type of computer?

Also, what is the cost?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Linux is an alternate operating system similar in many ways to Unix. It was invented by Linus Torvalds. The core of the operating system is available for free. There are many companies that distribute linux with various different bundles of software. I prefer OpenSuse however Ubuntu or Kubuntu is often considered easier for the average end user.

http://www.opensuse.org

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Why is it better?

More secure

more stable

faster

free

Did i mention it was free?

Not all hardware out there has drivers for Linux so no; it won't run <any> computer but You can run linux on more different computers than MS Vista. There are linux versions that will run with very old hardware and it can run on very modern systems so you have a lot more flexibility. I have a customer that is using 3000 old 486 machines from their surplus now because Linux is so much faster and more efficient and can work on those older systems and make a functional machine out of what would otherwise be junk and my machine here is running a quad athlon with Nvidia 9900 graphics on quad monitors and 32GB of Ram with OpenSuse 11.1. Life is good :D

• 1 decade ago

>is supposed to be better at!

It's a lot more stable than Windows, and requires less maintainance.

First time users may be confused as what to do because Linux works very differently compared to Windows and Mac OSX.

You can always try linux (go to the Ubuntu website, and order a free Ubuntu Live CD).

Insert the disc, run it in LiveCD mode and you can try out Ubuntu without having to install anything to your hard drive.

>Can it go on any type of computer?

Almost any type of computer. As long as the version of linux you intend to use supports the hardware being used by the computer, for example, there are versions of Linux that can only be used by Intel and AMD CPU's -- and cannot be used by Macintosh PowerPC's.

>Also, what is the cost?

Nada. Zilch. Zip. Zero. Free. (as in free beer).

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You can't. The reason the netbook has linux preinstalled is because it does not have enough memory or processor speed to support XP. If you wanted XP you should have gotten a netbook with XP preinstalled. Laptops can be configured to run on different OS but netbooks are very finicky about the OS.

• 1 decade ago

he Linux kernel is an operating system kernel used by the Linux family of Unix-like operating systems.The term Linux distribution is used to refer to the various operating systems that run on top of the Linux kernel.

The Linux kernel is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2) plus proprietary licenses for some controversial BLOBs and is developed by contributors worldwide; Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free / open source software. Day-to-day development takes place on the Linux kernel mailing list.

The Linux kernel was initially conceived and created by Finnish software engineering student Linus Torvalds in 1991. Early on, the MINIX community contributed code and ideas to the Linux kernel. At the time, the GNU Project had created many of the components required for a free software operating system, but its own kernel, GNU Hurd, was incomplete and unavailable. The BSD operating system had not yet freed itself from legal encumbrances. This meant that despite the limited functionality of the early versions, Linux rapidly accumulated developers and users who adopted code from those projects for use with the new operating system.The Linux kernel has received contributions from thousands of programmers.

as for type of computer almost any but it does require at least some minimum system requirements, i myself use fedora 9 in a virtual machine on a windows xp laptop.

as for cost that would be a big 0 totally free. because its open source wrote by people in thier free time, the most common linux distro is ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/ but you need to watch thou since most windows applications cant be installed in linux

you need to install special programs to get windows applications to work inside a linux enivorment.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.