Can Flavia Pennetta win the US Open Series (LOL)?

So Pennetta is playing at really high quality, and has been playing the best she has ever in her life. She's had wins over Sharapova, Zvonareva, Stosur, and just today Venus. Right now she's in first in the Series, with 95 points. She next plays, another girl who I think could win the Series, Hantuchova in the quarters (which is very win-able). The other contendors (in my mind) to win are Dementieva, Stosur, and the way she's playing right now, Clijsters.

So can Flavia win?

Update:

Andy K: Zvonareva is playing her WORST tennis lately..

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Laugh, but can most surely happen. None of the top 10 at the moment is playing liek it, and she has always gone a bit under rated and has an all court game. She has Venus Number no doubt having been successful against her past couple of years. Wouldnt be surprised if US Open has a Pennetta vs Stosur/Azarenka/Dementieva type final at this rate. Clijsters is looking awesome, but all these matches in a row, weeks in a row might catch up to her, otherwise can see her making noise at The Australian.

Safina way over rated. Serena and Venus look off, and when one sister goes down you can count on 8 of 10 times that the other will follow. Svet isnt as sharp...Jankovic has up and down year, mostly down. dementieva just might get her first.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah, it's actually quite possible, even though it seems ridiculous at first. She's in the lead right now and if she can consistently keep making it deep into these big tournaments, it might actually happen. I agree that Dementieva and Stosur can win also, but they might have to win a title to catch up. Clijsters has no points but if she wins both Cincinnati and Toronto, it is definitely possible.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe, she is playing well. Im really enjoying the women's game at the moment, its wide open and with players like Pennetta, Stosur & Zvonareva all playing their best tennis later in their careers its very exciting. The US open will be very tight and the women's draw will be very strong, I think the Serb girls really need to improve if they want to compete with the best again and now with Kim back im so happy and looking forward to her winning another grand slam.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hey, anything is possible. Maybe this is her time to shine on the WTA Tour. She is playing really well. I was very suprised about her win over Venus. If she keeps up this level of playing, she can definately win the US open series and maybe even make a deep run in the US open

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

definately lol. she was tied for 1st coming into this and Bartoli and Stosur are out, so yeah she will win i am actually not worried about her lol.

***EDIT- J i totally agree with you about Vera. She shouldnt be in the top 10 in my opinion. last year and early this year (when she was in Aussie semis) i truly believed she could have won and i predicted her for the US. but right now i dont think she'll get in a final...

• 1 decade ago

she can she won l.a and looks like shes gonna make a run this week too. so 1st or 2nd place for sure

• 1 decade ago

VIVA ITALIA!!!!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.