Is there any reputable scientist on record stating there will be a planetary alignment come 12/21/2010?

What is the Scientific Community saying about the planetary alignment on Dec. 21, 2010, which many believe the prediction from the Mayan Calender may lead to a catastrophe, due to the Galaxy alignment?

Update:

Oops! Sorry... I meant 2012

'There aint half been some clever' - I respect Neil deGrasse Tyson off of Nova & his credentials, so thanks for giving me a source.

To all of you.... just because someone asks a question about 12/21/2012, it doesn't mean they're frightened or a believer. Some of us are just curious & prefer to have facts. Making an informed opinion by hearing from an opposing official scientific observation/opinion based on facts by a reputable scientist helps the conversation greatly, esp. since I've not heard of one to date until now. But thanx to all who answered, it's appreciated.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Sure is!!! Here's a video for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=594AADBC788802A1&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

This man is Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's an astrophysicist, and director of the Hayden palnetarium at the American Museum of Natural History. In the video he will tell you that the Earth, the Sun and the centre of the galaxy WILL fall into perfect allignment on 21 Dec 2012.

He will go on to point out the the earth, sun and galactic centre will also come into perfect allignment on 21 Dec 2010. And 21 Dec 2011. And 21 Dec 2013. In fact, the earth, sun and centre of the galaxy fall into perfect allignment on the 21st if december EVERY YEAR!

so stop worrying. Neil say's it's gonna ba OK.

• 1 decade ago

Planetary alignments are not a matter of opinion. They can be predicted accurately over periods of many centuries. There is no particular planetary alignment on 12/21/2010 or (as others are saying) 12/21/2012. You can check with this website: http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar?date=1&utc=2...

Planetary alignments have no effect on the Earth. If all the planets were in a straight line and simultaneously at their closest, their combined effect would be to raise ocean tides by 1/25th of a millimetre.

There was no prediction made by the Mayan Calendar. It merely clicks over to a new cycle, just as ours did in 1999 - 2000.

There is no galaxy alignment either (apart from the Sun passing in front of the Milky Way, something it does twice a year). All this is derived from the confused ramblings of various crackpot websites.

• 1 decade ago

Yes scientist have evidence that there will be a alignment of the center of the milky way and the sun and earth in the near future scientist predict that this will happen 12/21/2012 not 12/21/2010.

Source(s): National Geographic
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can find any planetary alignments you wish by going forward and backward with an orrery.

See May, 2000 for an alignment that did not bring about anything exciting.

If there is or was anything like a "galaxy alignment", it is also of no importance.

Source(s): http://order.ph.utexas.edu/clock/ Fifty-five years of amateur astronomy.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No.

There is NO planetary alignment, NOR is there a galactic alignment. We can't even tell exactly where the center of the galaxy IS, because it's obscured by gas and dust, much less predict alignment with it.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

sorry the calender is set to end in 2012 not 2010. maybe they just ran out of room?? i am not aware of any alignment at that time. the planets haved aligned before and nothing has happened yet??

• 1 decade ago

You don't need a scientist to say that. You can check it out for yourself with astronomy software like Stellarium or Celestia. In fact, i'm going to do it right now. I have no idea if it's true or not, by the way.

• 3 years ago

i replaced into questioning approximately that myself. i would be viewing this alignment. i will upward push up at 5:45am to make certain this phenomena. It won't ensue lower back till 2053. I think of i would be ineffective via then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.