How many of you are up to date with giving your child all of their vaccinations?

My 7 month old son is up to date with all of his vaccinations. However, my sister in law is telling me how awful they are and that they cause autism and all of these other mental disturbances. She scared me. How many of you are giving your child their shots? Did they suffer any major side effects?

Favorite Answer

My child is up to date on her vaccines and I intend to keep vaccinating her against diseases. All the babies in my family and my friends babies are up to date on these and are fine!

Keep up the good work!

My son is almost eight months, and he's up to date. We are going to give him almost all the vaccinations, only skipping the chicken pox shot. At all of his appointments, he had little bruises at the injection sites, ran a mild fever and was cranky for the rest of the day.

I feel like the consequences of getting the diseases are much worse than the possible side effects of the vaccinations. There was a time when polio and many other diseases would cripple and kill thousands of children a year. We are all young enough we don't remember the horror of those diseases. Now that skipping vaccinations is getting more common, metropolitan areas are having measles outbreaks, and it can cause mental disturbances all on its own. Plus, the study most people cite when connecting autism to vaccinations has been discredited multiple times!

My son is up to date with his shots. He's only 11 weeks old and only had one round so far but he had no side effects from them. I don't think vaccinations are the cause of autism. I just want to protect him from deadly diseases. People who don't vaccinate take the risk of their child contracting a disease. And just because 2 of Frankly's children might have autism doesn't mean it had anything to do with vaccinations, it just goes to show you it is more of a genetic factor. I think that since autism has such a broad definition a lot of children are misdiagnosed with it that's why the autism rate is so high. A lot of children that are diagnosed with it then can also grow out of it and be just fine. Just because these diseases aren't around that much anymore does not mean that you do not need these vaccinations. With so many people not vaccinating these diseases are going to come back big time within the next several years. Personally if vaccines do cause autism I would rather run the risk of my son being autistic than catching a deadly disease. I would not be able to live with myself if something happened to him because of something that could have been prevented. Just because diseases aren't in the U.S. now doesn't mean that it won't be here again such as polio. People travel and a vaccinated person can carry the polio disease and pass it onto an unvaccinated person and it can paralize and even kill someone without the immunity. You have to think ahead you are not just protecting your children while they are kids, you are protecting through adulthood.

There is no scientific proof that vaccinations cause Autism. Do some research and talk with your pediatrician about your concerns. Ours was great about explaining the drugs and why/why not you should vaccinate.

Many people believe that the mercury preservative Thimerosal used in vaccinations is what causes Autism. Drug companies have removed this additive to all shots except the flu shot.

In the end I decided that I would rather have an autistic child for a lifetime than bury my child from a disease I could have prevented.

• Franky

My kids are all 4 up to date on their shots. My son was behind on his shots for a while, and was diagnosed Autistic. My daughter has gotten all of hers on time, and might be autistic. HOWEVER, I DO NOT THINK AUTISM IS CAUSED BY SHOTS! There is absolutely NO PROOF of that. My 2 oldest boys were both vaccinated on time, and neither one is Autistic. Everyone has their own opinions on shots, you have to decide how you feel on your own. But I looked at it this way. I'd rather the small chance of Autism than risk my child dying from some disease that could have been prevented. Again, I am 100% convinced that Autism is NOT caused by shots. There have been numerous studies refuting that. The only study that said they were caused by shots was disproven not long after that.

My son will be 2 next week and he is up to date on all his vaccines except the MMR, which he will get at his next well visit in 2 weeks. So far, my son has not suffered any major side effects from any shot.

• Lisa

My kids haven't gotten any vaccines at all. I was lucky enough to research vaccines before I got pregnant with my first child. You should be scared, because the rate of autism is now 1 in 100 children. (One percent). The old statistic is 1 in 150. Next month the higher number will be announced. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/autism-r...

You need to be warned that if your child is not autistic yet, he can still become autistic if you continue to vaccinate. And the risk is more than one percent for him, because autism is more common in boys than girls.

Vaccines are not required for school or daycare, contrary to what most people think. Here is the exemption information. http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.ph...

"Franky," I don't know how you can say the chance of autism is small. One percent of U.S. kids have autism. 50% of your kids do. You are 100% sure that vaccines can't be involved with autism, yet Bernadine Healy M.D., former head of the National Institutes of Health, a U.S. government organization, says that she's not so sure. She says the studies have not been done. http://health.usnews.com/blogs/heart-to-heart/2009...

We are up to date on our vaccinations. Our daughter doesn't like the shots and is grumpy for a while, but we haven't really had any troubles.

My sister has not vaccinated any of her children and so far she has been lucky, but I won't gamble with the health of our child.

I won't say that there is zero risk with vaccinations. Everything has some risk, but vaccinations are very safe. The issue of autism has been studied and found not to be true.

I'm sure you will get responses from antivaccination advocates.

Do some research and decide for yourself. Look for arguments which are based on fact, not emotion.

Good luck.

My daughter is now six years old,and she had all of her vaccinations. The effects (such as autism,etc) of the vaccinations have been disproven. It's not true that they cause all of that. It's been largely disproven. My daughter is fine. 100% fine,and suffered no ill effects from vaccination. It sounds bad to phrase like this,but I'd rather take the chance of an autistic child than a dead child.

"When you are deciding on vaccinations you need to look at each vaccination individually and look at the risks of vaccinating versus the risks of not vaccinating"

Exactly. My daughter is not 100% up to date, but she has most of her vaccines. I just chose to do them on a different schedule than the one the CDC recommends, and spread them out so that she was only getting 1 at a time, not up to 6 like they sometimes do.

My kid, my choice. Do your research, and decide what is best for YOUR family.

• J.A.

yes my daughter is up-to-date on all shots, and I plan on keeping it that way. I'm not taking any chances. The link between autism and vaccinations hasn't been proved. It's a low percent. My child didn't have any side effects from her shots, no fever bruising etc.