Who is interested in reading books that are not Harry Potter or Twilight?

would you read these?

Ms. Molly by Magic (read it, like it)

Terror Tales ( havent read it yet)

What are some other books, that are not the usual recommendations?

Favorite Answer

I am. It seems that books like HP and Twi just rub me the wrong way. I can't stand hearing about them any more than seeing questions asked about them. I am mostly interested in classics like the books of Austen and Dickens but I do check out new authors of I find a plot interesting.

Here's a standard list which I would advise anybody:-

Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Mill on the Floss, Middlemarch, Adam Bede, Silas Marner by George Eliot

Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Old Curiosity Shop, Little Dorrit, Martin Chuzzlewit, Nicholas Nickleby, A Christmas Carol, A tale of Two Cities and Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

Tess of the Duberville, Jude the Obscure, The return of the Native, Under the Greenwood tree, A Pair of Blue eyes,The Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Madding Crowd and The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

The Grapes of wrath, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl,Tortilla flat by John Steinbeck

Villette, Shirley, The Professor,and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Agnes Grey, The tenant of Windfell Hall by Anne Bronte

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Moll Flanders and Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Canterville Ghost, Salome, Vera Or The Nihilists,The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

The Alchemist, The Devil and Miss Prym, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept and Fifth Mountain by Paulo Coelho

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

The Diary of Anne Frank

Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and Macbeth and any other play by Shakespeare

The Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart and other stories and poems of Edgar Allan Poe

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway

The Sound and the Fury and Light in August by William Faulkner

All Quite on the Western Front by Eric Maria Remarque

Night by Elie Wiesel

Black Boy by Richard Wright

Oedipus Rex and Antigone by Sophocles

Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malroy

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad

Les Miserables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

The Lost world by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Time Machine by H.G.Wells

Roll of Thunder, Hear my cry and Let the Circle be Unbroken by Mildred Taylor

A Grain Of Wheat, Matigari and Devil on the Cross by Ngugi

Things Fall Apart and Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe

The Grass is Singing and The Golden Notebook by Dorris Lessing

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

A Room with A View and A Passage to India by E.M.Forster

Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez

A House For Mr Biswas and Mr Stone and the Knights companion by V.S.Naipaul

The Guide, The English Teacher, Waiting for the Mahatma and Malgudi Days by R.K.Narayan

Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton( It's nothing like the film, it's a million times times more interesting)

A Streetcar named Desire, The Glass Menagerie and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennesse Williams

All My Sons, Death of A Salesman, The Crucible and A View From The Bridge by Arthur Miller

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

The Reef, The Custom of the Country, The House of Mirth, Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

Mary Barton and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

To the Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

Some of the books above-mentioned are not classics but they were likeable all the same.

These are the most recent books I've read:-

Swan by Frances Mayes

Flight of the Archangel and Cecily by Isabelle Holland

The Chase by Louisa May Alcott

The Virgin Blue and Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Almonds and Raisins, The Scattered Seed and Children's Children by Maisie Mosco

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Sister of My Heart, Arranged Marriage, The Lives of Others and Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

Lisa of Lambeth by Somerset Maugham

PS I Love You and If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

I found them quite interesting, especially since they all differed from the books I'm used to reading.

Hope this helps!

• LK

Every issue of The Sandman by Gaiman -he's kind of a hit or miss writer; this is next to literature.

His The Graveyard Book is good, too. It won the Hugo this year, so far.

Am unfamiliar with Ms. Molly, but do know Terror Tales sounds interesting. Will look up Magic and Molly at Amazon. Now you're recommending books to me...

William Gibson writes terrific cyberpunk work (he coined the term) many of which become interlocking sets of series though many can stand alone too.

If you start with Count Zero and follow through to All Tomorrow's Parties, that's a great series. For a book a bit more like a thriller, suggest Pattern Recognition.

The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead is very fine reading, showing thrills [and some violence] all about elevator inspectors -futuristic.

A shorter and excellent book, also gets gory, is Grendel by John Gardner; the epic poem in prose, from Grendel's POV, a surprise in every way.

This question was asked about an hour ago... you'll find more answers if willing by looking for it.

Best of luck in your choices.

Well, I can't say that I am not interested in reading Harry Potter. I love those books and don't care if they are bestsellers and over advertised. They are good books.

But, that also doesn't mean I don't read other books. I enjoy fantasy, so I used to read a lot of Piers Anthony's Xanth novels and Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern. There was this series called The Dragon and the George that I thought were very good.

I also enjoy reading hystorical romance novels such as Rosey Dow's Colorado series and Janette Oke's Women of the West series. And many more.

A series for younger people that I think is very very good (read it within the last year or two) is The Last Apprentice series by Joesph Delaney. It has horror and fantasy and sci-fi and a little romance. It is a very interesting series.

Yes, I would read more obscure books than bestsellers. I mean, sure they're popular, but to me, Harry Potter was okay, and Twilight was disappointing. But when you find the lesser known books, the unloved, shunned, and obscure reads, you see something so precious. It's worth much more than any bestseller. So yes, I would rather read an unpopular book than a popular book, but I wouldn't choose a bad book over a good one.

Anyways, If you're into obscure books I recommend:

Avatars: So this is how it ends by Tui. T. Sutherland (sci-fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic)

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (romance fantasy)

The Withern Rise trilogy by Michael Lawrence (fantasy, sci-fi, mystery)

Hurt go Happy by Ginny Rorby (animal, comtemporary)

Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones (fantasy)

The Great Tree of Avalon by T.A. Barron (fantasy, adventure)

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (mystery)

Luthiel's Song by Robert Fanney (fantasy, adventure)

Kindred by Octavia Butler (historical, sci-fi)

Far World by J. Scott Savage (fantasy)

Cherub series by Robert Muchamore (adventure, secret agents)

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster (classic)

The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley (fantasy)

I'm interesting in reading Harry Potter, but I also read other books.

The two you mentioned don't sound like something I'd read, but then again you never know.

Books that aren't usually recommend...erm, that I'm not too sure about.

• I always recommend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. They're bizarre, thought-provoking, and extremely entertaining. I can't get enough of the Discworld.

Here is a link to a question that was asked earlier about this exact thing. There are so many wonderful answers there for you.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=At...

i like the clique series

if youre a girl, read em

if youre not, dont.

MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

i love dan brown and all his books espacially the divinchi code....

yay