promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How much does an M4 rifle cost?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

On 4 August, 2005 the Department of Defense awarded a fixed price contract of $52,509,192 to Colt Defense, LLC for 50,881 M4 and M4A1 rifles. That works out to $1,032 per rifle. That was the most recent contract awarded for the M4 rifle, however Sabre Defense was awarded a contract last year for a small number of M16A2 and M16A3 rifles.

Source(s): I read a summery of the contract award.
  • schutt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

M4 Rifle Price

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

M4 Carbine Price

• 6 years ago

hey i got an new colt m4 carbine for just 7000 rupees and with a brilliant zoming range and also with a sling cok and fk guarentee from us navy for 3 years

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Let's put it this way. Unless you can get a pre-1986 model, or an AR-15/M4 upper full auto conversion then you can't get one as it is unlawful (federal law). If you can get ahold of a pre-1986 model, or a AR-15/M4 upper F/A conversion, then expect to pay around $15,000 to $20,000 for one... not to mention the miles of red tape you have to go through with the BATFE. Just leave this idea alone. I doubt you are A. Old enough for class III implements/firearms in general, B. Have nearly the amount of money, and C. The patience to wait 6-8 months for everything to go through with the BATFE. Forget it.

Limegreen: Stop giving such good answers! You make the rest of us look bad!

Source(s): Avid shooter.
  • 1 decade ago

I know you want the M4 but the AR-15 is a good gun also.

• 1 decade ago

The average MSRP of a civillian M4 Carbine is around $800.00+ dollars.

They usually have an average MSRP of $900.00+ dollars, but some can be had for around $800.00-$900.00 dollars.

I hope this helps!

• 1 decade ago

BB (Before Obama) quality rifles could be found for less than $900. After Barry, you couldn't find a piece of junk for less than a grand. Lately, availability has gotten better and I am seeing the name brands dropping down to $1000 - $1200. That's still about 2-300 over this time last year but better than 4 months ago. While manufacturers are still working on back orders, I was expecting the situation to continue to improve up until yesterday. Yesterday we started seeing stories about the increasing numbers of home grown militias. The several stories pointed out anecdotal evidence that the M4 seemed to be a favorite weapon. It was also curious that the rise in numbers of these groups coincided with the Democrats take over of Congress 2 years ago and has skyrocketed (according to them) since Obama took office. I am not sure where our AG and Obama are going to go with this - if anywhere - but I am sure just the presence of the stories will get some people riled on both sides of the issue and I would not be surprised to see another spike in sales and in prices. Something could be in the breeze, I just don't know what.

Source(s): I pay attention.
  • 1 decade ago

That's kind of a trick question, and I'll tell you why:

1) A Military M4 is different than a civilian M4; It is full auto.

2) A Military M4 is not only full auto, it has a shorter barrel than is legal for civilians to own without NFA registry (like a machine gun.)

Most of us in the AR community refer to "civilian legal" M4's as "M4gerys" because they are neither fully automatic, nor do they have the military 14" barrel (Legal limit is 16").

The way the M4gery looks like an M4 is either to use a real military 14" barrel with a permanently attached 2" (or more) flash-hider, OR to use a 16" barrel with the distinct "step down" M4 profile.

Colt is the only producer of "Real" M4's (according to Wikipedia):

"The M4 was developed and produced for the United States government by Colt Firearms, which has an exclusive contract to produce the M4 family of weapons through 2009; however, a number of other manufacturers offer M4-like firearms."

However, as previously mentioned, the real M4 is an NFA weapon. Moreover, the M4 was designed and manufactured after 1986, thus, none may be made Transferable (Legal designation) for civilian ownership in the United States. However, you could theoretically take an NFA Registered M16 lower receiver and mate it with an M4 upper, thus having an M4 configuration. This rifle, as long as the NFA receiver was legal, would be the closest way to get a "real" M4, especially if you used all Colt parts. The price? About 9000 US (or more) for the lower, and about 600 for the upper. That's not a misprint; NFA weapons are EXPENSIVE. A real Transferable M16 goes for about 13,000 dollars.

However, civilian legal M4gerys may be had for anywhere from about 1500 dollars (For a real Colt LE Mod. 6920), according to today's GunBroker auctions, to as low as 750 if you buy yourself a no-name receiver and build it yourself.

Bushmaster lists one of its M4gery versions, the Optics Ready Carbine, with an MSRP of 1120.

Prices hover around 800 to 1200 bucks depending on brand.

To build your own:

1) First, purchase a receiver from your local dealer...legally, this is the firearm, so you have to do the paperwork on it. Not all receivers are created alike. While many of them are simply Alcoa blanks with a manufacturer's name on them, some "manufacturers" use their own in-house foundries (for castings) or machine shops (for billet versions). The receiver is the heart of your rifle...don't go too cheap.

2) Go online and look up "AR-15 Parts Kits" -- many companies (too many to list here) sell a full kit -- everything except the receiver. These can be bought online and shipped directly to your home. Many kit companies sell an M4 model.

3) Put the two together.

Quality of build depends on quality of components and your own skills with tools.

And if you pay 120 for the receiver (if you can find one at that price) and 630 for the kit...voila, 750.

There you go.

Source(s): gunbroker.com, coltdefense.com, bushmaster.com, wikipedia.org, and I build AR's as a hobby.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.