Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

Can someone please explain how Bands like the Beatles and The Rolling Stones Changed Music?

I'm ignorant I used to listen to different music now I'm hooked on Rock and Roll ever since I heard this beetle song called "Come Together"

The only thing I know about he beatles is that I like their songs and they sold a lot of albums.

I had a epiphany now I listen to bands such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen Metallica, and more.

I also figured that Jimi Hendrix started to make rock with fast notes and that kind of new style that bands like metallic, black sabbath do.

• Jimmy
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, it's all kind of hard to explain and I'm no expert on the subject. But look at the music that came before those bands (Elvis Presley rockabilly, Chuck Berry rock 'n' roll, the Twist, etc.) and think how the bands came up with their respected brands of rock 'n' roll. The '60s was a time of great progress in music. The Beatles, The Stones, Hendrix, all those guys.

The Beatles started off normally enough, singing rock 'n' roll covers and pop ditties. But they evolved over the years. Behind the songwriting of Paul McCartney and John Lennon, the band kind of rewrote the book on rock music. They loved experimenting with new sounds and new recording techniques. They helped popularize the LP album format (selling full albums of music, rather than singles) with albums like "Revolver", "Sgt. Pepper", and "The Beatles" (the White Album). Many songs on the "Abbey Road" album flowed into one another, making the album itself a work of art, not just the songs it contained. The Beatles were among the first bands to experiment with psychedelic rock (stuff on "The Magical Mystery Tour", etc.).

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys was another musical genius at that time. The Beach Boys and the Beatles had an unofficial competition where, for a period of time, each band would try to top the other's previous release. One band's progress influenced the other's. Brian Wilson said once that he had an idea in his head for an ambitious "new sound". But after hearing the Beatles' "Strawberry Fields Forever" in his car, he felt that the Beatles had "got there first".

The Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" is a ridiculously layered and complex piece of music. It was painstakingly assembled from bits and pieces taken from numerous takes, pieced together and layered on top of each other. Wilson planned on making an entire album of that lush sound (to be titled "SMiLE"), but the project was notoriously left unfinished when Wilson suffered mental breakdowns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(Beach_Boys_alb...

The Rolling Stones mixed blues with rock 'n' roll. They branched out in their own direction, kind of laying the groundwork for what classic rock music would become. And they've been going strong for decades.

The '60s was an era of change in a lot of ways. Civil rights, hippies, color television, revolutionary music. I wasn't there, so I can't really say what caused music to evolve the way it did. (Was it the drugs?) I can't really describe it, but it's good stuff. The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, etc.

Maybe you could do some research on Wikipedia to find better answers.