Can a usb internet stick be used on a desktop?

I know you can get wireless internet service from some cell phone providers using a stick that plugs into the usb port. My question is will this same device work on a desktop computer, or is it just for laptops. I live in an area without cable or dsl availability, so my only option would be satellite, which would cost about $500 to get set up. I'm looking for something a little more reasonably priced. Don't mind paying the monthly charge, just don't want the big shell out of money up front.

Favorite Answer

Most cell phone carriers have what it is called an Air Card which is available for both laptop and desktop. The USB air card is suitable for both desktop and laptop.

The USB air card is fairly easy to install, just insert the disc provided and follow the on-screen instructions. Of course first you need to visit your preferred cell phone carrier and get all the costs in front of you and see if it is the right thing for your budget.

Word of advice, NEVER use the air card out of your country. This is a way for cell phone carriers to charge you hundreds if not thousands of dollars from hidden overages. I know someone that got charged $1100 for surfing the internet in a different country while using an air card and that person wasn't even aware that the air card automatically connects to a wireless point as soon as its plugged in. So note to your self, absolutely do not plug in your air card when you are out of your home country.

Source(s): Computer Tech - www.hideawaycyber.com

Yes, it will work, but those cards normally work from cell phone towers, so make sure you get a cell signal. They have extremely expensive as well. You have a 5GB internet cap, which means you can't really watch videos or download a lot without hitting the limit and getting overages. You may want to ask them if they have a small business plan you could look at.

Hello, you can, but you have to a WIFI signal in your house with some kind of a wireless router. If not you'll have to get one. I know what you are talking about, those are really expensive and i believe you can use them on desktop. If you can, you will be dishing out money for bad service. Thanks! so bottom line is: you can use them, but if you have bad cell service count on internet being 3 times as bad.

Source(s): 13yrs as Computer Networker.

Air Cards For Computers

of course it will, laptops are just small portable versions of desktops. the only problem may be if the desktop is in a location with no signal

Hello! Someone in my twitter feed shared this link so I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting it to my followers!

Very interested to hear the answers to this as well