Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Waterproof paint that I can use on plastic? (can i use this)?

I want to pain something that is plastic, but what kind of paint can i use? it has to be waterproof too... can i use the kind of paint that you use on toy model plastic cars that you can build?

Favorite Answer

Hi xoxo36607,

The paint isn't the biggest part of your paint job. Have you ever noticed that when you paint plastic, the paint can be scratched off without any effort when you're done? That's not the fault of the paint you're using. It's because the surface of the plastic is so smooth, that the paint has nothing to hold on to.

I've worked with plastic for many years as a Senior Process Tech., and I'll let you in on a little secret the auto body guys don't want you to know. In order to "raise the grain" sufficiently for paint to take hold, it has to be treated first, either chemically, electrically or with flame.

By far, the easiest way for the average guy or gal to do this in our driveway on a Saturday morning is called "Lapping" the plastic. This is done easily with a propane torch with a flame spreader attached. The flame is passed FAIRLY QUICKLY an inch or two over the surface of the plastic, almost as if you were brushing on a coat of paint. You DO NOT WANT TO HEAT THE PLASTIC past the point of being warm. You are simply raising the fine little "hairs" on it's surface.

Once that is done, prime and paint with a good quality primer, wait 24 hours, and apply your top-coat. Follow manufacturers recommended time for adding additional coats.

Source(s): I BLEED plastic!!

Waterproof Paint For Plastic

Best Waterproof Paint

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): waterproof paint plastic this: https://tr.im/ZUOtF
  • MAM

Well, plastic is waterproof to begin with....however, any water or oil based paint should work.

Why? Are you planning to paint the inside, too?