Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 decade ago

How do people with learning disabilities act?

Do people with learning disabilities act differently then those who don't have a learning disabilities?

I over herd a conversation these two people were having and they say that people with dyslexia or any other LD are not normal and they act different.

Best Answer

There is a difference between having a disability & having learning difficulties - with most people who have learning difficulties, you wouldn't even know it unless you were actually told. The severity of learning difficulties can vary, they can be very mild and have no noticeable effect on the person's demeanour or they may be at the severe end of the learning difficulties spectrum, it may be noticeable the person is slightly different in their appearance or behaviour, but not necessarily.

People with dyslexia have difficulties with reading and/or writing, if it's not spotted & they don't receive help they might act out in class or appear to be stupid/a bit slow but there is no noticeable physical difference between a dyslexic & the rest of us.

Well I have dyslexia and other very mild learning difficulties and I don't act different, it's like a hidden disability, it only affects me when I'm writing and doing Maths.

It depends though, some people with moderate to severe learning difficulties may act a little different, because some of their symptoms are not hidden, like the way they dress, talk, walk and act around other people.

It's the ones that really need extra extra help and care all the time.

Even with someone with Aspergers, (Depending on the severity of it) some people don't act any different.

A learning disability is not typical. A learning disability refers to a person scoring much lower on the performance portion of an IQ test, and the verbal portion is much higher.

People with learning disabilities do think differently. Their brain is hard wired differently. They tend to have scattered abilities. Alot of assessments go by age level, and you need to miss several q in a row. The LD person will miss a few get one, miss a few, get one ect.

My middle son, age almost 4 has evaluations that will say scattered abilities between 15-72 months without hitting the ceiling (meaning the testing only went up to age 6 and he could have gone higher)

For instance my son on the WISC had a 29 point discrepancy betw his verbal and performance scores. Usually 1 standard deviation difference (15 pts.) is the criteria to be classified LD. On the WJ-III he had scores in the basement (as low as they could register) and scores at the ceiling (as high as scores could register) at age 7.5 yrs. So he had scores that put his age at 3, and scores that put his age at 30 WITHIN the same domain.

I describe him this way, if people were horses, he'd be a zebra, kinda looks like everybody else, but is quite different.

He gives weird answers, and comes out of left field at times. When asked what is bigger than a desk? Most kids will say a car, a house ect, and his answer is the milky way galaxy. When ask what is smaller than a desk a typical answer would be a pencil, crayons, lunch he gives answers like a strand of dna. Very specific, and extreme. Same for q like what lives in a rainforest? Instead of typical answers like a frog, gorilla, snake, bird he says things like a lemur.

I can spot an LD person as obviously as if they had a label stamped on their head. They appear very smart, and very delayed at the same time. They have inattention problems, and teachers feel they are lazy and defiant.

NVLD is code for asperger's syndrome

Source(s): psych nurse dx LD

There is not a specific way for people with learning disabilities to act. They look and act like anyone else. You can't just look at a person and say that he or she has a learning disability. Not everyone with LD has the same traits or characteristics. Sometimes, people with LD tend to be highly creative and artistic. Sometimes, they may be slower at processing information. Or they may have reading problems (not always). The learning disability label is such a loaded and a vague one.

Source(s): I work with children with LD

If someone simply has a learning disability, then they would act like anyone else does...

Many times, there are a variety of issues at play, so an individual may have some "quirks" that go along with the learning disability. However, they are often from another diagnosis, not the learning disability.

Source(s): Mom to son with autism and SPD
  • Emma

I never knew having a hard time reading can effect my social situations. I never knew that not knowing how to listen or having ADHD makes me weird. You have met many LD people in your life and have never realized it. People think LD means weird and different, so when they meet someone with an LD they immediately jump to conclusions. Most people who can act weird in a social situation may have an LD called Non-Verbal Learning Disability.

• Lo

Disabilities come in forms from physical to mental but learning disabilities are different from learning difficulties, like dyslexia etc.

People who are dyslexic have difficulty reading and writing certain words for example they get b's & d's back to front & can affect vision too if it's severe.

If you have a learning difficulty it doesn't mean you act any different or look any different.

Just think you're getting disability confused with difficulty.

Well it really depends on what disability they have and how severe it is. My daughter is dyslexic and she is married has two beautiful children, works part time, acts with local dramatic society and looks after her home.

Some autistic children do have problems with their tempers usually because of frustration but also be very clever in certain areas.

A big subject and every person different.

• mcc

think of 25 people that you know - do they all act the same - probably not. The same goes for people with disabilities - some are more obvious and many you would never know.

It would be a dull band if everyone played the flute.

Celebrate that which makes us unique.

A learning disability does not normally affect your physical act. You act normal all the time.. the diffrence is that they have trouble learning. Its harder for them to learn. And they are normally completly normal humans they just have trouble learning.