Cash for clunkers, good or bad?

How many realize what this is really going to cost us. It is more than just the $4500 rebate. The government (you and me) is going to have to reimburse the dealership for the trade in value of the car as well as the rebate. The government (you and me) will all so have to pay to have the vehicle destroyed. ... show more How many realize what this is really going to cost us. It is more than just the $4500 rebate. The government (you and me) is going to have to reimburse the dealership for the trade in value of the car as well as the rebate. The government (you and me) will all so have to pay to have the vehicle destroyed. $4500 +trade in value + destruction and disposal of the old vehicle = > $4500.

Your thoughts?
Update: Whimsy and take you’re God and others: For those who claim environmental benefits, the first rule of being green is to re use, not needlessly destroy waste resources to rebuild. By the time all the new cars are built and delivered I doubt there will be any saved, esp. when you include the transportation,... show more Whimsy and take you’re God and others:
For those who claim environmental benefits, the first rule of being green is to re use, not needlessly destroy waste resources to rebuild. By the time all the new cars are built and delivered I doubt there will be any saved, esp. when you include the transportation, destruction and storing the trash created by the destroyed cars.

Anger, you’re wrong. The cars traded in will be destroyed, not resold; this will have a great impact on the used car market, therefore affecting the new car market.

Happyhit, I understand there we money allowed also for the trade in, the dealers won't provide this, the government will there is still disposal costs.

For all those saying stimulate the auto industry, what industry is next? You realize we (if you pay taxes) have to pay of it. I don't we keep our money and stimulate what is important to us?
Update 2: sorry for my writing, I thought I could go back, proof read and correct errors.