Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

is it legal to own a venomous snake in Arizona/Oregon?

is it legal to own a venomous snake (cobra) in Arizona/Oregon?

8 Answers

  • amy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Arizona: They are listed as restricted live wildlife and you need a license to own one. Arizona is not giving out permits to pet owners at this time.

    R12-4-406. Restricted Live Wildlife

    B. With the exception of all live cervids, which shall not be imported, transported, or possessed except as allowed under R12-4-430, an individual shall possess an appropriate special license listed in R12-4-409(A) or act under a lawful exemption from the requirements of this Article in order to use wildlife listed in this Section for any activity prohibited by A.R.S. § 17-306 or R12-4-402. Exemptions from these requirements are listed in R12-4-316, R12-4-404, R12-4-405, R12-4-407, R12-4-425, and R12-4-427.

    G. Unless specified otherwise, mammals listed below are restricted live wildlife as defined in R12-4-401. The taxonomic classification from Volumes I and II of Walker's Mammals of the World, Sixth Edition, 1999, and not including any later edition, is the authority in the following designations. A copy is available for inspection at any Department office and from the Johns Hopkins University Press, 2715 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218-4363.

    I. Reptiles listed below are restricted live wildlife as defined in R12-4-401.

    1. All species of the order Crocodylia. Common names include: gavials, caimans, crocodiles, and alligators;

    2. The following species of the order Testudines. Common names include: turtles and tortoises;

    a. All species of the family Chelydridae. Common name: snapping turtles; and

    b. All species of the genus Gopherus. Common name: gopher tortoises, including the desert tortoise; and

    3. All species of the following families or genera of the order Squamata.

    a. The family Helodermatidae. Common names include: Gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard;

    b. The family Elapidae. Common names include: cobras, mambas, coral snakes, kraits, and Australian elapids;

    c. The family Hydrophiidae. Common name: sea snakes;

    d. The family Viperidae. Common names include: true vipers and pit vipers, including rattlesnakes;

    e. The family Atractaspidae. Common name: burrowing asps; and

    f. The following species and genera of the family Colubridae:

    i. Dispholidus typus. Common name: boomslang;

    ii. Thelotornis kirtlandii. Common names include: bird snake or twig snake;

    iii. Rhabdophis. Common name: keelback; and

    iv. Boiga irregularis. Common name: brown tree snake.

    Oregon: They are listed as prohibited species.

    Prohibited Species

    (1) Except as otherwise provided in these rules or other rules of the commission, live wildlife listed below may not be imported, possessed, sold, purchased, exchanged or transported in the state:

    (e) Prohibited Reptiles: Common Name -- Family -- Genus/species:

    (C) Order Squamata (Suborder Serpentes)

    (i) Brown tree snake -- Colubridae -- Boiga irregularis;

    (ii) Black-necked spitting cobra -- Elapidae -- Naja nigricollis;

    (iii) Cape cobra -- Elapidae -- Naja nivea;

    (iv) Copperheads and cottonmouths -- Viperidae -- Agkistrodon All species and hybrids;

    (v) Puff adders -- Viperidae -- Bitis All species and hybrids except Bitis gabonica and B. nasicornis;

    (vi) Lanceheads -- Viperidae -- Bothrops All species and hybrids;

    (vii) Palm pit vipers -- Viperidae -- Bothriechis All species and hybrids;

    (viii) Rattlesnakes -- Viperidae -- All nonnative species and hybrids except Crotalus aquilus, C. basiliscus, C. durissus, C. intermedius, C. polystictus, C. pusillus, C. tortugensis, C. triseriatus, C. unicolor, and C. vegrandis;

    (ix) Mid-east vipers -- Viperidae -- Daboia All species and hybrids;

    (x) Pygmy rattlesnake -- Viperidae -- Sistrurus catenatus;

    (xi) Asian pit vipers -- Viperidae -- Trimeresurus All species and hybrids;

    (xii) Wagler’s palm viper -- Viperidae -- Tropidolaemus wagleri;

    (xiii) Sand vipers -- Viperidae -- Vipera All species and hybrids.

  • 1 decade ago

    check with the fish and game but here is what i found

    if you are asking this i assume you have never kept a venomous snake which if im right then you should not be getting a cobra anyway. they are not beginner snakes and can be very hard to handle. getting one to be cool is a stupid reason i hope thats not why you want one. either way you should have a lot of experience with venomous snakes before getting into elapids.


    Native Venomous: No permit is required, however other restrictions apply. Please contact Arizona Game and Fish Department for all the details

    Exotic Venomous: Permit is required

    Protected Native Venomous: Permit required

    Arizona Game and Fish

    Permits Coordinator

    2221 W. Greenway Road

    Phoenix, AZ 85023

  • 3 years ago

    Poisonous Snakes In Arizona

  • 3 years ago

    Snakes In Oregon

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No, it is not legal. You will not be able to own a cobra without having a license to keep the animal. You will definitely need to be experienced to keep a cobra, which I hope you are and know the risks. I live in Arizona, and you need a license to keep any venomous snake/animal, which seems to be the law in many states if not all.

    Source(s): Have 8 reptiles: 2 normal ball pythons, mexican black king snake, western hognose, dumeril's boa, corn snake, giant leopard gecko, and a red eared slider. Have done much research on many different reptiles.
  • 1 decade ago

    You should check your local Fish and wildlife department, Email them or call them, they'll tell you if you can and what permits you need etc.

  • 3 years ago

    Chris Johnson and Mike Hopkins posted the same question. You should see the answers side by side.

  • 1 decade ago

    I think it depends on the county/city within the state itself.

    Check with your local town supervisor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.