st0nefish asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Carrot Hiccups and Indigestion?

I'm really befuddled....whenever I eat raw carrots or drink fresh carrot juice I soon feel like something is stuck in my esophagus as it enters my stomach--kind of like I need to swallow something into my stomach, but I can't quite get it all the way down.

This often then leads to a bad case of the hiccups and excessive saliva production. I've never vomited from this, but I've felt close several times.

This is clearly some sort of reaction I have to raw carrots and carrots juice as it is very repeatable.

Carrots that have been cooked (i.e. in a stir fry) seem to cause me no problems.

Furthermore, since I get an identical reaction even when drinking fresh/raw carrot juice, I can say for sure it's not a problem caused by eating them too fast or not chewing them properly.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this?

Is it a protein that I can't digest? I don't know that it's a typical allergy since I don't have itching, swelling, headaches, or other similar ''normal" allergy responses.

Best Answer

Believe it or not, there is a support group for people like you.

On a quick view, I don't see much about treatment, but maybe you can get some insight. At least, you're not alone anymore.

maybe you have a minor hernia somewhere around there in your lower esophagus, where the food finds it hard to pass by, and about the hiccups...

The most likely time to hiccup is in the evening. Women can hiccup more during the first two weeks of their menstrual cycle, so pregnant women tend to hiccup far less than their non-pregnant counterparts do... maybe its not connected to your carrots?

I think you should try slowing down your eating and juice consumption next time u decide to carrot feast and see what happens.

• Kari

The same thing happens to me with raw carrots. I thought maybe I was eating too fast but I started eating raw carrots slowly and making sure to grind it down to small pieces by my chewing, but still...after first bite...here come the hiccups. Thought I was the only one. LOL

Most of the root crops have high content of starches. When they are eaten directly by chewing saliva is added to it and helps in digesting starches. Where as a juice may not have opportunity to add saliva when consumed hence it causes irritation to your throat as saliva indirectly acts as lubricant in the ducts.

Indigestion caused due to high starch content with out Tia line.

Consume the juice slowly over long time so that it is remained in the mouth to secrete saliva