Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

has anyone taken latin!!?

I signed up for latin, but I have no clue what it is?

• aida
    Favorite Answer

Latin is the language of the ancient Romans and was spoken all over the Roman Empire. Although it is no longer spoken except in a few very specific circumstances, it is the ancestor of today's Romance languages--French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, as well as some lesser-known ones. English is not a Romance language, but a great part of the English vocabulary also has Latin roots. (Save this answer, and then in a year, look at it again and count the number of Latin-derived words in it.)

One thing you'll need to get used to in Latin is that nouns and verbs have many more endings than they do in English. These will probably be introduced a few at a time, tand they will actually make it easier to see how a word is used in a sentence.

So go for it, and enjoy!

Source(s): Majored in Latin.

I took it--you'll love it! Plus you'll know a lot more about root words, since so many english words come from latin. It's reaaallly easy and fun, and you'll have a great time.

Once you've taken Latin learning other languages will be easier. Good choice!

The Latin that is taught in schools & colleges is the written language of the ancient Romans. Typically you would see examples of prose texts by Caesar and poetry by Vergil.

You may have come across quotations already such as 'veni, vidi, vici' (I came, I saw, I conquered) & 'timeo Danaos et dona ferentes' (I fear the Greeks even when bearing gifts).

Even if you just study Latin for a year you will find it gives you a better understanding of general language structure.

Source(s): Experience of Classical education

Latin is the root to spanish and french so if you take latin its easier to learn other languages. Its a dead language so your never going to use it but if you want to learn other languages it would be easier after taking latin.