Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

Why don't they have sumo wrestling in the Olympics?

It would be a fun sports to watch I would think.

Update:

If badminton can be an Olympic sport, why not sumo?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sumo fails to meet a key criteria for an Olympic sport it's just not practiced that much around the world. Only Japan where it's a national sport seems to be the big country where it's participated in.

Olympics also have allot of wrestling and combat sports so I think it's tough for Sumo to get into the Olympics. Karate is trying to get into the 2016 games.

Badminton was added to Olympics to give Asian countries more of a chance to participate in the Olympics. Asian Pacific countries such as China and Korea as well as South Asian countries like Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia play the sport more then Tennis.

• wesby
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Sumo Olympics

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why don't they have sumo wrestling in the Olympics?

It would be a fun sports to watch I would think.

Source(s): don 39 sumo wrestling olympics: https://shortly.im/DUcPD
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

sumo wrestling is too localized in japan... but american football could have its shot since there are 50+ countries in 6 continents that litearlly play the sport. no offense

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Smart
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Why not rodeo? Why not Poker? If your sport can meet all the international criteria and get through the hurdles of the IOC, it will become an Olympic sport.

• 1 decade ago

Not many countries take part in this sport. So there would really be no Competition and it does not meet Olympic standards

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayhmv

No way. Too high a center of gravity, wouldn't take off. Also the strength/mass ratio for women goes way down after a certain point.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.