Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 decade ago

How do i EV train in pokemon platinum?

So i watched this video on you tube that said if i get pokerus and the power item on my pokemon i will get 10 EVs when killing a bidoof so i gave my ninjask 10 hp up and then faced 10 bidoofs and i only got plus 10 i thote i was supposed to get more

Favorite Answer

EXAMPLE: let's use the Adamant Heracross from earlier. Before I go out and massacre wild pokemon for sport, I want to make sure I have a boost in Attack and Speed to minimize the number of wild pokemon I have to KO. So I buy 10 Protein and 10 Carbos and feed them to my Heracross. His EV spread has gone from nil to...

100 Atk / 100 Spe

Giving you a nice base to work off. Note how you don't buy a HP-UP as that would give you 10 EVs in HP, which is not what we want for the sweeper spread. That shows you how to get started with your training.

Power Items:

After the elite 4 you gain access to the battle tower / frontier, where you earn points to be spent at the market place etc etc. Here you can buy Power items that your pokemon hold to gain more EVs. Each power item gives you 4 EVs in whatever stat the item itself specializes in, the only downside is a TEMPORARY loss of speed. For example, every time my Heracross gains an EV in ANY stat the Power Anklet he is holding will give him 4 extra EVs. So you can be gaining experience off pokemon that give you SpDef EVs and still be getting your Speed EVs, but I don't recommend doing that. This is crucial to quickly and efficiently training EVs. I'll give you a quick list of what each power item is called and what it does.

Power Weight: + 4 EVs in HP

Power Bracer: +4 EVs in Atk

Power Belt: +4 EVs in Def

Power Lens: +4 EVs in SpA

Power Band: +4 EVs in SpDef

Power Anklet: +4 EVs in Spe

They all slash your speed remember, but this wears off. It's like holding the Iron Ball. Lowers your speed, but stops when you take the item off the pokemon.

As I have said, I don't recommend EV training without the appropriate power item or it takes MUCH longer.

Pokerus

This is the virus that your pokemon can catch. There is a 1 in 21845 chance that a wild pokemon will be carrying this disease when you catch it. I've only ever received two pokemon from my own games with Pokerus. One was on silver so that doesn't count, the other was on a Mewtwo that I soft reset for on Leaf Green (It was timid and it had pokerus).

How do you know your pokemon has pokerus? Well Nurse Joy tells you when you heal your pokemon and a massive great purple PKRS sign appears on your pokemon in the summary screen. Pokerus is removed from any pokemon in your party when the clock passes over (so midnight). Pokerus stays indefinitely on any pokemon in your PC box, so it's good to have at least one pokemon in your PC box with Pokerus at any time.

To spread the virus, you must go into battles. The best way of spreading it is running from battles so as not to add any unwanted EVs to your pokemon.

What Pokerus actually does is doubles the amount of EVs you receive... Except those received via vitamins. So pokemon that would give 1 EV per kill now give 2 and power items now give you 8 EVs per KO instead of 4. This is pretty much crucial to EV training... If you don't have a pokemon with pokerus, get one. If you do have one, spread it to others and keep one in the PC. You don't want to leave your only pokemon with Pokerus in your party overnight and loose the virus forever, that'd be pretty silly.

Once a pokemon has been cured of Pokerus, it can never receive the virus again, so make the most of it (or stick it in the PC for later...).

Pokerus is quite magical when you're EV training. I'll show you why. Let's use Heracross again. I'd like to train speed with Heracross. I've given him his Carbos and he's ready to go. I use the old rod and up comes a magikarp (or you use the VS seeker on the 6 magikarp trainer... I'll do hotspots later...)