Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Signs of Leukemia???

how do you know you have leukemia and is it easy to tell even if you haven't been diagnosed??? or is it something that has very very subtle symptoms and you can't tell you have it unless a doctor says so?

Favorite Answer

Leukemia is a cancer of the cells that produce blood cells. Typically it is the bone marrow that is cancerous but in some cases the spleen is also affected. The cancerous cells either overproduce nonfunctional blood cells or cease blood cell production. Different cells are affected and that is what determines what type/subtype of leukemia the patient has.

My 2 1/2 year old son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL (the most common leukemia in children) but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. So, unlike the previous answer to this question, no you don't see a lump or anything like that - there's no tumour associated with leukemia.

E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 3 consolidation rounds, he was given another strong dose of chemo due to a tumour in his liver that hasn't been typed yet - unrelated to the leukemia but possibly related to the Wilms' Tumour he had as an infant. He just finished his 2nd round. He does stay in the hospital during his chemo. His chemo lasts 7 days and he usually stays for up to 2 weeks. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available. The chances of relapse with AML are pretty high. Since this is his second time fighting cancer he is considered at a greater risk for relapse so the bone marrow transplant is the best choice for him.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some and I hope nothing but the best for your friend. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and an untyped mass in his liver. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

Well, leukemia symptoms can be very obvious, but it's hard to tell that they are due to leukemia. the most common symptoms are things like bruising easily, or having bruises that you don't remember how you got them, being tired, getting sick easily and often, little red dots that look like pin pricks, being pale.

Many of these can be signs of things from the common cold, to mono, or anemia. So symptoms are obv. there, but it's hard to diagnose, you need a doctor to diagnose you by a blood test and/or lumbar puncture. If you're worried then get to a doctor ASAP, leukemia is serious, but can be controlled well with treatment

Source(s): 15 year old leukemia patient
  • rosner

in lots of situations, the 1st symptoms of leukemia are nonspecific (obscure). Early symptoms additionally would happen with different forms of maximum cancers or with different wellbeing circumstances. besides the indisputable fact that leukemia symptoms variety counting on the form of ailment, there are some prevalent useful components. extensive symptoms of leukemia contain here: a million.)Fatigue 2.)Malaise (obscure feeling of tangible soreness) 3.)atypical bleeding continual leukemia many times is going undetected for some years and could be pointed out in a habitual blood attempt. in actuality, almost one in 5 continual leukemia sufferers do no longer checklist symptoms on the time of diagnosis. maximum symptoms of acute leukemia are led to via low stages of well-known blood cells, that's simply by overcrowding of the blood-forming bone marrow via leukemia cells.

i'm not sure where Amber B is getting her answer from.... BUT that's out of the question. It depends. I became incredibly tired. I'd sleep 15 hours wake up and go right back to sleep. I would bruise incredibly easy. I'd stub my toe and I'd bruise. I'd bump into a door or wall and I'd bruise. Sometimes Leukemia has those symptoms and sometimes it doesn't which is why it's so deadly.

Source(s): 2 time AML leukemia survivor

Ckeck it you have a bump. If you can lift it up holding your skin... You have leukemia.

• Hazel6 years agoReport

Uh no. Don't lost n to this answer. It makes absolutely no sense what so ever. If you don't know what you're talking about DO NOT ANSWER a medical question!!!