Can anyone tell me what California penal code 273a b entails?

I recently googled an old friend online, and was extremely surprised to find the only story about her was a recent arrest summary and mug shot. She was arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana but also 273 a b willful cruelty to a child. I am wondering if she was charged with that simply because a child was in her vehicle while she was DUI or if it entails actual physical harm. I admit I am just being nosy and curious, but still would appreciate any help on this matter.

I think whoever is posting about adoption fees or whatever, I don't think you are looking in California law. It definitely is cruelty to a child, I just can;t find the exact definition of this subsection -173a b

• John S
    Favorite Answer

As far as is applicable here, Penal Code section 273a, subdivision (b), prohibits putting a child in a situation where his or her person or health may be endangered, but it is not likely to cause great bodily harm or death. (The crime is usually called "child endangerment.") Some prosecutors think this is a reasonable charge if somebody is DUI with a child in the car. I think it is overcharging.

Source(s): 30+ years as a criminal defense attorney

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I recently googled an old friend online, and was extremely surprised to find the only story about her was a recent arrest summary and mug shot. She was arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana but also 273 a b willful cruelty to a child. I am wondering if she was charged with that simply...

Source(s): california penal code 273a entails: https://biturl.im/yPNk4

Penal Code 273a

273(a) bans the charging of most types of fees for the adoption of a child. It basically prohibits "baby selling".

273(b) excludes medical and other pregnancy related costs from the provisions of (a).

Neither has anything to do with cruelty to a child, so there's something awry with the record you found quoted.

Edit...

If you'd put the parenthesis in, I'd have gotten the right section :-) I thought you were referencing 273 (a) and (b), which say...

273.

(a) It is a misdemeanor for any person or agency to pay, offer to pay, or to receive money or anything of value for the placement for adoption or for the consent to an adoption of a child. This subdivision shall not apply to any fee paid for adoption services provided by the State Department of Social Services, a licensed adoption agency, adoption services providers, as defined in Section 8502 of the Family Code, or an attorney providing adoption legal services.

(b) This section shall not make it unlawful to pay or receive the maternity-connected medical or hospital and necessary living expenses of the mother preceding and during confinement as an act of charity, as long as the payment is not contingent upon placement of the child for adoption, consent to the adoption, or cooperation in the completion of the adoption.

It seems what you were actually asking about is 273a(b), which says...

273a

(b) Any person who, under circumstances or conditions other than those likely to produce great bodily harm or death, willfully causes or permits any child to suffer, or inflicts thereon unjustifiable physical pain or mental suffering, or having the care or custody of any child, willfully causes or permits the person or health of that child to be injured, or willfully causes or permits that child to be placed in a situation where his or her person or health may be endangered, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

See how important punctuation is? :-)

Richard

Hi,

Since the charge was at the same time as the DUI, it is connected to having the child in her vehicle and endangering his/her life. As to whether it involved actual physical harm to the child, that will depend on the prosecuting attorney and how far s/he is willing to take the case.

Try Google.

• ?

Try asking her...

It is much better than nosing around behind her back